Tail of a Hit Turtle or Setting Off a Rant

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mobile, Alabama
Not a normal Frankie Tortoise Tail. Its about the tail of a hit box turtle. It a tail about how to set Leann off!

Neighbor knocked on my door before eight this morning. At least I was dressed. It was Dennis who walks his dogs in the neighborhood and up the main street. He hands me a plastic container with two turtle eggs. He came across a turtle that was run over and he was able to recover two intact eggs. I praise him for his kindness. I ask if the turtle was dead. He said yes. I ask if he knows what kind of a turtle it is and he says box turtle.

A person with some broad range experience with turtles knows something many people don't know: turtles don't die that easy. It's the first thing I think when he says its dead. The eggs are in remarkable good shape. I ask where the hit turtle is.

After a description of the turtle's location I again praise my neighbor for his quick response and action. I return inside and look for shoes, several rags and a plastic bag. I have not showered, combed my hair or brushed my teeth but it is not the priority here: the turtle is the priority.

I walk out of our neighborhood and about a hundred feet down the busy main road I see a very squashed turtle. I curse automobile drivers. When I get to the turtle I shutter when I notice her head is up. Around her is about 12 separate pieces of shell, a leg attached by a single ligament, a scapula protruding through lung and muscle tissue, and lots of blood. I need to get her out of the road. A shovel would be helpful but that is not how a turtle lover would handle this.

I put my hand in the side of the plastic bag. I spread my hand as wide as I can and place this over the top of the turtle. As careful as possible I slide my other hand under the carapace (actually in one piece) and then gently turn over the whole bloody mess in tact, pull the rest of the plastic bag over her top and again, turn her gently right side up.

After I check to see that I have left no pieces of her behind I move off the road where I can examine her in safety. Now covered by the bag except her front end, head and a dangling foot, I look for signs of life. I look at one eye and there is no movement when I touch it. Just to be sure I touch the second eye to see if it moves.

My heart just dropped as she blinks when I touch her eye. She is alive. I move quickly for home.

There is no recovery for this turtle but there is no reason for her to continue to suffer as she slowly dies. Euthanasia is called for, as humane as possible. All the way home I consider the fastest and most humane action I can take. Now would be kind, 30 minutes if we are lucky, one hour if I have to search for help.

I decide that if I cannot get her humanely euthanize within an hour I must, for her sake and not mine, euthanize her myself. There are two things I can do if I have to that will instantly/within moments kill her. I've never had to take these options in all my years but this may be necessary. That internal decision took 10 seconds. A serious turtle/reptile keeper understand this and is prepared to take emergency action. It's not pleasant, but it is for the turtle's sake.

Not wanting to do emergency euthanasia I move to the next option. The closest places to me who could euthanize this turtle is a small animal veterinarian clinic and a wildlife center. The clinic opens at 7:00 am so they are available. There is a chance they would turn me away but this is my cats veterinarian and I could direct them as to the proper way to euthanize a turtle and would assist then in the procedure.

The wildlife center probably has the ability to do an emergency euthanasia even without a veterinarian on site. Although I have tried to warm the center to me with donations and offer of help they seem unreceptive to me. Recently I was told they don't have a volunteer position for me (?????). Why they could not use a highly skilled reptile person to clean cages is beyond me.

I call and find that the staff is there and the center is open. For the turtle this is the very best option.

Still not showered, teeth not brushed, and with only one cup of coffee in me I head off to wildlife center's location.

When I get there one person directs me immediately to the reptile room. Immediately a second staff member stops me and ask why I am there and then tells me to fill out an animal intake form. In my hand I am holding a plastic bag with a dying turtle inside. I tell her to call the staff in charge.

The reptile biologist comes to the front. They recognize me. I show them the turtle and ask if they can do an emergency euthanasia. I am assured that they can do an injection.

Now here comes the rant.

I ask to stay with the turtle. Staff says no. I cannot go in the back until I complete a two day volunteer orientation course.

Since the day I got my first reptile I have insisted in attending my animals in all medical procedures. X-rays, injections, examinations, surgeries, every single time. Once I took a tokay to a veterinarian for a parasite check and the vet picked up the tokay cage and started to leave the room. I asked what they were doing and he said he was taking it back for examination and fecal check.

I should have let him take the tokay. Within second there would be screaming and yelling and people dashing out of the room. I told him that I had to be present for the examine and treatment. He said that wasn't possible. I got up, took the tokay from him and left.

Frankie's veterinarian in Birmingham was one of the most skilled turtle doctors I have ever met. He was smart enough to make sure I was in the room in case Frankie ever went ballistic. Like when Frankie got his first x-ray. The x-ray technician said they could handle Frankie. We insisted on at least walking Frankie to the x-ray room. We put Frankie on the x-ray table and at the request of the technician we left the room. Three minutes later he asked if we would come in and help settle Frankie down and get him in position. I grabbed the lead apron and gear. Technician said I would not be staying for the actual x-ray. I said, "You wanna bet on that." Three minutes later I was putting on all the safety gear and keeping Frankie quiet so we could get the x-ray.

It's not that I am just skilled at reptile medical procedures, or know how to handle numerous reptile species, or that blood and guts don't bother me, or that I am the calmest person in the room during an emergency, it's the combination that makes me a really terrific person to have around to make the veterinarian's job easier.

What is most important is I am the compassionate, responsible advocate who represents that reptile, that living being's interests. When I picked up that hit turtle on the road I made promise that from that moment on I would see that it's interest came first.

It just burns me that a anyone thinks I need a two day course about wildlife, that I am overqualified to teach, just to see that a dying turtle meets it's final moments, compassionately and lovingly.

Advocacy. Fighting for our animals. Caring for our reptiles. Soothing Frankie when he is somewhere unfamiliar. Making sure a dying turtle isn't set on a table for 30 minutes while the staff mops the floor. Making sure an idiot doctor doesn't put his hand in a tokay cage forcing the mishandled tokay to bite the bloody crap out of the doctor.

Rant complete. We now return you to your regular Frankie Tortoise Tails.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So sad. :(

You did the right thing even if other people are craycray. Are you going to incubate the eggs?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To some people working with animals is just a job, not a love or passion. You did great. No animal big or small should suffer. I'm sure you are probably going to try and save the eggs, so please keep us posted.
I never understand how someone can't miss a slow moving turtle that is on the road. I think some idiots actually purposely hit them. If I ever see someone do they, well let's just say they won't have any good days left.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
I am incubating the eggs. Since I gave up breeding turtles a while ago I had to look up all the incubation do's and don't. I have set up in a cake-size container/w top filled with organic soil. I dampened the soil so it's moist to the touch. The eggs are just over half buried. They have plumped up since this morning. As I do with all eggs incubating I will check morning and night to see that the temperature and humidity remain within preferred ranges. Suggestions on egg incubation are welcome.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It is so sad that the people at that facility put their stupid rules ahead of the needs of the dying animal. Common sense seems to be a rarity nowadays. They are not the people I would one in charge of taking care of anything.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
We have ornate box turtles near the river, and it always enraged me when I would see a squished one. For starters, the speed limit is 45mph, 15-35 around the river... So it is not like someone wouldn't see the turtle in the road a good 1/2 away... Second, there is no way someone would willingly run over a rock that is 6" high, which means they knew it was a turtle when they saw it 1/2 mile away and purposely ran over it. Ugh!

Thank you, for your compassion and for helping that poor turtle. I hope you are successful with hatching her eggs, and yes, a very special thank you for your neighbor's quick thinking.

Maverick

5 Year Member
We have ornate box turtles near the river, and it always enraged me when I would see a squished one. For starters, the speed limit is 45mph, 15-35 around the river... So it is not like someone wouldn't see the turtle in the road a good 1/2 away... Second, there is no way someone would willingly run over a rock that is 6" high, which means they knew it was a turtle when they saw it 1/2 mile away and purposely ran over it. Ugh!

Thank you, for your compassion and for helping that poor turtle. I hope you are successful with hatching her eggs, and yes, a very special thank you for your neighbor's quick thinking.
I have witnessed people actually swerve to hit a turtle, I know it's wrong but I thought about painting a big rock like a turtle and putting it in the berm. Buying some new suspension parts my make them think twice the next time!

Clawem

There was an article I read a few months ago were someone put fake animals in the road including turtles to see drivers reactions. 85% of the drivers went out of their way to hit the animals. It is a sad world we live in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There was an article I read a few months ago were someone put fake animals in the road including turtles to see drivers reactions. 85% of the drivers went out of their way to hit the animals. It is a sad world we live in.

I saw that too. It was on You Tube.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan

How terrible! I can't even comprehend why a person would find enjoyment out of needlessly taking an animal's life like that. I live in Michigan, so squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, and deer that have been hit on the road are, very unfortunately, a common occurance. However, I always go out of my way to stop for animals. If an animal ever leaps into the road and I have to brake hard or swerve away from it, I immediately pull over and make sure I didn't hit it. So far I have never hit an animal.

Just a few days ago I thought I saw a red-eared slider in the middle of the road so I pulled over to see if I could go out and help it. Unforunately it was completely crushed. It was clearly dead. I only wish I had something with me in my car so I could have taken it home and buried it. Poor thing.

M

Maggie Cummings

Leann... I just wanted to say it was not an easy choice you made for that box turtle. I appreciate the h*ll outa you. You are a tough compassionate person, but that doesn't mean you aren't crying inside. Thank you for being the kind of person you are. The world would be so much better off if there were more like you. I appreciate you...

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
How terrible! I can't even comprehend why a person would find enjoyment out of needlessly taking an animal's life like that. I live in Michigan, so squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, and deer that have been hit on the road are, very unfortunately, a common occurance. However, I always go out of my way to stop for animals. If an animal ever leaps into the road and I have to brake hard or swerve away from it, I immediately pull over and make sure I didn't hit it. So far I have never hit an animal.

I agree. So sad. It is not even as if turtles are nuisance animals that would be a concern for your livestock or dogs, not that I would condone running over a coyote, but still. Just horrible. I have accidentally hit bunnies two times and had to pull over to concentrate on not vomiting.

Thank you again, for taking on the burden and heartache for that little lady.

G_Vincey

London
Well done to you and your neighbour.. Great work to try and help this little Turt.. The eggs must live on, in her memory.. Such a sad story..

Just out of curiosity, how far away were the eggs found?
This may be a stupid question but did the eggs belong to that Turt or another one?

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
My neighbor said "several" eggs were lying from next to her to progressing steps away. Only two were not crushed. The neighbor is not a turtle person so I didn't want to go too far with questions. I asked the important one: where is the turtle? That was the important question.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
That's awful. There was a kid at my high school that was always really mean to everyone in general, yet was somehow way popular. One day he came to school in his stupid lifted truck that daddy bought him and was bragging about going out of his way to hit a turtle on the way to school that day, and how he always tried to hit them because "it was fun to hear them crunch and see them splat when they were run over." He was surprised to find all four of his over-sized tires flat after school that day. I wasn't.

I hit a baby aquatic turtle about three months ago and it about killed me. I heard/saw it as it happened (window was open), and getting out to see confirmed my worst fears -- that it was a turtle and not some inanimate object. I just can't imagine why/how anyone would willingly hit an animal. It certainly made me feel awful -- and mine was an honest mistake. I could not help but feel had I paid more attention I could have seen it and moved it -- which was true, I was looking at my GPS and looked up too late. I move all turtles I see out of the road unless it jeopardizes my safety to do so -- from babies to big snappers. I hate how many snappers I find basking on the road after the rain sometimes; I wish they had the cognitive ability to know better.

I learned from several tragic and/or needlessly expensive experiences (with ferrets specifically, in which I am well versed in their ailments and ideal treatments) that many vets think because they know about cats and dogs that they know every animal, but are really shooting a gun into thick fog. I go to a vet that not only allows me in the room, but listens to me when I come in and say, "I know what this is, I've seen it before, I don't have the equipment to fix it, but I'd like you to try this, I know this should fix/diagnose it." With my ferrets I was always correct and my vet and I had a relationship where we both trusted each other, and it saved me THOUSANDS to be able to request, for example, specific blood panels (Like knowing to do a specific test from University of Tennessee instead of the way more expensive but less accurate one from IDEXX for insulinoma -- IDEXX being what most of the vets in my area automatically 'endorse') instead of just doing whatever. That level of trust has caused me to fully trust my vet not to hurt my pet out of ignorance or scam me when I didn't know what was going on, such as when my rabbit went blind fairly abruptly. I've seen some bad vets in the past and the only people that suffer are the animals and their keepers. The last time I went to a vet that took my animal into the back and didn't let me go with, she came back out dead. Never again. (Lakeside Animal Hospital in Richmond, VA was that place, BTW -- avoid it.)

I guess that's my rant.

Last edited:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I've been driving for 4 years now, my animal hit record is almost clean. 2 falls ago I was driving one day and a squirrel ran in front of my car and there was no stopping in time... I was so distraught over that and my friend tried to comfort me by telling me she liked chipmunks better and at least it wasn't one of them... next day driving to school one of them ran on front of my car, I also couldn't stop in time... I was sad for them for a little while until I just decided it wasn't my fault, there were no cars on the other side of the road freaking them out and I wasn't speeding, so theres nothing I could have done, and heck maybe they didn't store well for winter and wanted to die, I don't know it sounds good :rolleyes:. Thankfully I've never hit a turtle, there was a kid from my college that did one of those experiments with a fake turtle in the road... the results were sickening! I've personally only helped 2 cross in my 4 years driving, (then one other I saw on an off ramp at 5 oclock traffic.. there was no spot the next day though so I guess he was super lucky!)

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
Thanks, Running Elk. It helped to read your post and have your support. Two days ago I got "fired" by a veterinarian who a week ago refused me to watch a procedure on a wild caught turtle with an abscess (it's in the Health Section). This vet failed to provide an antibiotic and correct wound treatment and ten days later the turtle was relapsing and the wound smelling like a cesspool. I called for a second opinion from one of the best turtle veterinarians in the US to see if we've done all we could for the turtle, and of course hadn't. When I got hold of the turtle's veterinarian and asked for antibiotics I was questioned as to which of us was the veterinarian, and accused of acting as a veterinarian. When I told her the recommendation came from the expert she was very, very unhappy. After a ten minute discussion of whether we could find common ground (and making me feel really bad) she said she didn't want to be my veterinarian.

Funny thing, she did give me a referral to another veterinarian (who happens to be her nemesis) who turned out to be fantastic. I am treated as I should be as a member of a rehab team. 24 hours later, an antibiotic shot, wound debraidment and the turtle is doing good. Hopefully she can be returned to the wild thin 10 days. I hope so because that wild turtle HATES me which is the way a wild turtle should feel if it's going to avoid humans for their own safety in the future.