Tadpole help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Okay cool, have to get supplies for the new habitat. Ordered a decent filter system this morning and will get everything else I need from petsmart.

My wife didn't realize that the legs had started to grow, she thought it was just some poop, lol...

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
when i had tadpoles i got a 20gal tank (long) and put a big rock.filled it so that the tip of the rock was out for when the tadpoles grew legs. i fed them bloodworms and goldfish food.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have a 40gal tank thats not being used right now and the wife gave me the okay to modify it for the eventual frog. I want a land area for plants and such so that it doesn't look plain sitting there, but I will see as I start getting it all together.

The tank there in now has a large platform type of rock and we would just need to lower the water level a little and it will be sticking out of the water if needed for a temp thing...

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
dmarcus said:
I have a 40gal tank thats not being used right now and the wife gave me the okay to modify it for the eventual frog. I want a land area for plants and such so that it doesn't look plain sitting there, but I will see as I start getting it all together.

The tank there in now has a large platform type of rock and we would just need to lower the water level a little and it will be sticking out of the water if needed for a temp thing...

yea, eventually you should change it. i changed it when their tail was gone

i figured u would move the frogs outside when they are big

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Turtleswagg said:
dmarcus said:

yea, eventually you should change it. i changed it when their tail was gone

i figured u would move the frogs outside when they are big

I should have the new tank ready by the end of the week and then move it over.

Our weather had been getting down to the freezing levels at night so until we start getting good weather they are inside, but I have a plan in place for an outside enclosure once things get a little warmer...

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
dmarcus said:

Our weather had been getting down to the freezing levels at night so until we start getting good weather they are inside, but I have a plan in place for an outside enclosure once things get a little warmer...

oh ok

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Turtleswagg said:
dmarcus said:

oh ok

My wife wants them outside as soon as possible, she is doing her best to tolerate my many animal endevors...:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
So I have this photo I didn't think you could see the legs but once I looked a the bigger photo I could see it. I put an arrow just above the new legs, I will still do my best to get a better photo outside of the tank.

This one is about 4 inches long from nose to tail.

0205122134-1.jpg

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
When we sold our house a few years back, the folks who bought it didn't want the pool. Well there was loads of tadpoles inside and We did our best to scoop all of them out. I had them in a 5 gallon compound buckets, (have plenty of those!!) Left them in a lean too, and read somewhere freezing lettuce then crumbling it up, and I had some food you feed bettas, brine shrimp I think. Well They 'hatched out? and were these little tree frogs. It started to get colder and there were 2 left. I couldn't just dump them, so they came in the house in a container, then winter came and these guys finally got legs. We had them in a small aquarium on our brand new counter top. I had to mist them constantly, supply some lights, and finally had to start growing flies. (I used to buy the flies, but 9 dollars for this container, so I spent about 50 dollars to get set up to grow them. Can you imagine anyone spending 9 dollars for flies ???? (They were tiny flies)(yup just call me sucker!!)
We had those little frogs for over 2 years. They never got big, so I imagine something wasn't perfect for them, but I couldn't just throw them outside. Oh they were so cute. I have some pictures somewhere. Probably on a disc I will never find.
Then we got anoles for that spot on the counter, now I have a proper fish tank...
All started with tadpoles.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Nay said:
When we sold our house a few years back, the folks who bought it didn't want the pool. Well there was loads of tadpoles inside and We did our best to scoop all of them out. I had them in a 5 gallon compound buckets, (have plenty of those!!) Left them in a lean too, and read somewhere freezing lettuce then crumbling it up, and I had some food you feed bettas, brine shrimp I think. Well They 'hatched out? and were these little tree frogs. It started to get colder and there were 2 left. I couldn't just dump them, so they came in the house in a container, then winter came and these guys finally got legs. We had them in a small aquarium on our brand new counter top. I had to mist them constantly, supply some lights, and finally had to start growing flies. (I used to buy the flies, but 9 dollars for this container, so I spent about 50 dollars to get set up to grow them. Can you imagine anyone spending 9 dollars for flies ???? (They were tiny flies)(yup just call me sucker!!)
We had those little frogs for over 2 years. They never got big, so I imagine something wasn't perfect for them, but I couldn't just throw them outside. Oh they were so cute. I have some pictures somewhere. Probably on a disc I will never find.
Then we got anoles for that spot on the counter, now I have a proper fish tank...
All started with tadpoles.

Very cool story, and 2 years is a long time. These are my first tadpoles that survived for more than a few days. I didn't know what I was doing as a kid, killed a lot of poor pets... My wife wanted to let they go when they became frogs and I didn't so I threw the "its against the law to set them free" so I get to keep them...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
So this is a better photo. the feet do not move at all, as of now they just hang there...

0206121915a.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Is that the Bull Frog one? I have some pictures of our's too, and then again when they became bull frogs.....someplace.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
terryo said:
Is that the Bull Frog one? I have some pictures of our's too, and then again when they became bull frogs.....someplace.

Yes, this one is the biggest and it is a bull frog. I am looking forward to seeing how big it will get...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The back legs have completely formed, now just waiting to see the front legs..

0216121254.jpg

0216121255a.jpg

0216121255.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here is one of mine by the pond that is full grown. The tadpoles were the same size as yours, so they should be this size full grown....I guess if they're the same kind.
Scan0002-1.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Cool picture Terry, you wouldn't think they would get so big coming from such small tad poles but I guess all big things were once small to start off.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I was given some Spadefoot tadpoles last year. For the most part, I just fed them some "Aquatic Frog and Tadpole Food" from the pet store, plus algae ended up growing on the tank walls--very convenient, especially since it never occurred to me to find out whether Spadefoot tads are carnivorous. I guess I was overfeeding... Set up was a 10 gallon, filter was rated for 20 gallons, and I tossed in chunks of cork bark to climb out on when they started to metamorphose. None of them died, so I guess I was doing something right! It probably helped that they were all pretty close to metamorphose by the time I got them. I think the youngest took 2 months after I got it to start growing legs? I actually still have 3 of them.. Very cool little critters. A couple of them will even eat out of my hand.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Floof said:
I was given some Spadefoot tadpoles last year. For the most part, I just fed them some "Aquatic Frog and Tadpole Food" from the pet store, plus algae ended up growing on the tank walls--very convenient, especially since it never occurred to me to find out whether Spadefoot tads are carnivorous. I guess I was overfeeding... Set up was a 10 gallon, filter was rated for 20 gallons, and I tossed in chunks of cork bark to climb out on when they started to metamorphose. None of them died, so I guess I was doing something right! It probably helped that they were all pretty close to metamorphose by the time I got them. I think the youngest took 2 months after I got it to start growing legs? I actually still have 3 of them.. Very cool little critters. A couple of them will even eat out of my hand.

Very cool, I have never been a frog or toad person, but things change when you raise something from the time they were small. You tend to forget that you didn't like them at one time. I definitely can't wait until mine are full size frogs...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Went to check on my biggest tadpole and I had a nice surprise, one of the front legs has popped out and the other one is real close. its really looking like a frog now and almost time to switch it over to the new tank...

0302121424a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.