Tadpole help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I will do my best to separate them and just hope I have a nice bull frog like Diane has...

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
dalano73 said:
I will do my best to separate them and just hope I have a nice bull frog like Diane has...

I put two tadpoles in our pond two years ago-- so far we have our big one who I believe is a gal and a teenager and now a baby!! We also have salamanders and tiny baby goldfish. I just hope everyone makes it through the winter. Our big frog made it through the blizzard and ice storms last year-- so she should be ok Again this year. We have tons of rocks for her and now family to borrow into around the bog of the fountain-- and last year a vole made an underground freeway for them too -- hope they do ok :) I love the frogs! We put a frog crossing sign up too- for friends that aren't aware of their nightly habbit to sleep under a log under my hydrangea bush. I also have solar lights all along their habitat to draw in bugs and they seem to enjoy meeting at the lights at night :) and we still have at least 6 more huge tadpoles to watch and enjoy next year!! :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
SailingMystic said:
dalano73 said:

I put two tadpoles in our pond two years ago-- so far we have our big one who I believe is a gal and a teenager and now a baby!! We also have salamanders and tiny baby goldfish. I just hope everyone makes it through the winter. Our big frog made it through the blizzard and ice storms last year-- so she should be ok Again this year. We have tons of rocks for her and now family to borrow into around the bog of the fountain-- and last year a vole made an underground freeway for them too -- hope they do ok :) I love the frogs! We put a frog crossing sign up too- for friends that aren't aware of their nightly habbit to sleep under a log under my hydrangea bush. I also have solar lights all along their habitat to draw in bugs and they seem to enjoy meeting at the lights at night :) and we still have at least 6 more huge tadpoles to watch and enjoy next year!! :)

Very cool, I hope we have success like you, and I hope your little lady makes it through the winter...

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Add pond plants too - give them places to sit and hide and bask. They are even use to our German shepherd dog coming up to greet her nose-to-nose each morning! We have a very brave frog... really fun to have. At night the pond comes alive in early spring with their loud mating calls! Our neighbors love it!!
The female is silent- but the many males she attracts are not. It's a blast to sit with them and enjoy a glass of wine waiting for them to make noise. Enjoy it and good luck to you!! Nature will take it from here :)

My princess frog!

image-501946029.png

SailingMystic said:
Add pond plants too - give them places to sit and hide and bask. They are even use to our German shepherd dog coming up to greet her nose-to-nose each morning! We have a very brave frog... really fun to have. At night the pond comes alive in early spring with their loud mating calls! Our neighbors love it!!
The female is silent- but the many males she attracts are not. It's a blast to sit with them and enjoy a glass of wine waiting for them to make noise. Enjoy it and good luck to you!! Nature will take it from here :)

My princess frog!

image-501946029.png

I realized I also have some images from last year via Google Picasa of Princess Frog :)

I hope I did this right :)! Enjoy!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
SailingMystic said:

My princess frog!

View attachment 11988

SailingMystic said:

My princess frog!

View attachment 11988

I realized I also have some images from last year via Google Picasa of Princess Frog :)

I hope I did this right :)! Enjoy!!

You have a very nice pond...

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Thanks! It only took a little while to put it in (did it in the fall) and by spring we had a lot of visitors :) Today it looks very different. We put a fence up in our yard and the bog is higher- and the pond plants are larger...it's completely different every year. A lot of fun to watch- enjoy :)!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
SailingMystic said:
Thanks! It only took a little while to put it in (did it in the fall) and by spring we had a lot of visitors :) Today it looks very different. We put a fence up in our yard and the bog is higher- and the pond plants are larger...it's completely different every year. A lot of fun to watch- enjoy :)!

Thanks for your suggestions..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
My largest bull frog tadpole has started to develop its back legs so I need to start setting up its new enclosure. Right now its just not ideal for anything outside. So does anyone who raises frogs or toads have good indoor set ups that they can post photos of or just give me ideas. I do have a large aquarium that I can use.

Thanks...

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I raised a bullfrog from tadpole and I just had a tank about half filled with water and built up an island with rocks, including a rock ramp and a little cave. I used one of those turtle filters that works with lower levels of water. Unfortunately, I don't have any photographs on this computer. :( I added water plants and put in rosies as needed. You will also need UVB. I used a tube fluorescent.

You can also use acrylic pieces as land/water barriers. Use non-toxic aquarium silicone to adhere it and make it a waterproof barrier. You can fill in the land side. To make things lighter and help with drainage, use the clay balls as a base layer, then screen, then substrate. You can then plant in that part and add moss. Remember though that bullfrogs love to swim, so I didn't have much of a land side. I just had the rocks so that the water could be deep enough and used water loving plants to fill in with green.

With the plants and the fish, the set up was pretty self sustaining. She usually hunted t fish at night. She also got occasional crickets and worms. Remember that they get big fast, so if you don't have an outdoor area, you'll want a larger tank pretty soon.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Lulu said:
I raised a bullfrog from tadpole and I just had a tank about half filled with water and built up an island with rocks, including a rock ramp and a little cave. I used one of those turtle filters that works with lower levels of water. Unfortunately, I don't have any photographs on this computer. :( I added water plants and put in rosies as needed. You will also need UVB. I used a tube fluorescent.

You can also use acrylic pieces as land/water barriers. Use non-toxic aquarium silicone to adhere it and make it a waterproof barrier. You can fill in the land side. To make things lighter and help with drainage, use the clay balls as a base layer, then screen, then substrate. You can then plant in that part and add moss. Remember though that bullfrogs love to swim, so I didn't have much of a land side. I just had the rocks so that the water could be deep enough and used water loving plants to fill in with green.

With the plants and the fish, the set up was pretty self sustaining. She usually hunted t fish at night. She also got occasional crickets and worms. Remember that they get big fast, so if you don't have an outdoor area, you'll want a larger tank pretty soon.

Thanks for the good info, once they weather gets better I will have a small pond set up but its just to cold right now.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I remember that once they started getting legs they went pretty quick. I just lowered the water in her existing tank and added the rocks, but I only had the one to deal with. You could just set up a transition tank and move your legged one over. It's pretty cool when one day they're swimming around and the next day they're sitting on the rocks. Froglets don't eat while they're absorbing their tails, so don't be alarmed by that. I think I started her on mealworms once she was eating, because they were easy for her, but she went to fish pretty easily.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks, I think I will do the transition tank. Its pretty cool to see those little legs show up out of no where..

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
a quick google of frog tanks will bring up some pretty cool vivariums. all of the ones i work with are pretty simple, glass or acrylic tanks, plumbed for a misting system that is on a timer, with subsrtate of gravel on the bottom, various logs/branches, live moss, and bromiliads/ferns. Tadpoles to cannibalize so once the eggs start sprouting, we separate each one into a plastic petri dish or small container until moving them into a small starter tank. Alagae wafers and fish flake is what we feed, depending on the species this can be altered a bit. For our dart frogs (dendrobates, autarus, hourglass, azeurus,tinctorious,) and A. zeteki (technically a toad) we soften the alage flake into a powder, mix with water and 'paint' it onto cut pvc so the frogs can suck it off in the tank, feeding every day and altering between flake and alage.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
zesty_17 said:
a quick google of frog tanks will bring up some pretty cool vivariums. all of the ones i work with are pretty simple, glass or acrylic tanks, plumbed for a misting system that is on a timer, with subsrtate of gravel on the bottom, various logs/branches, live moss, and bromiliads/ferns. Tadpoles to cannibalize so once the eggs start sprouting, we separate each one into a plastic petri dish or small container until moving them into a small starter tank. Alagae wafers and fish flake is what we feed, depending on the species this can be altered a bit. For our dart frogs (dendrobates, autarus, hourglass, azeurus,tinctorious,) and A. zeteki (technically a toad) we soften the alage flake into a powder, mix with water and 'paint' it onto cut pvc so the frogs can suck it off in the tank, feeding every day and altering between flake and alage.

Thanks, I just found one I really like.

That pvc feeding sound very interesting

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Can you post some pictures? Did they turn into frogs yet? Each year we got thousands of tadpoles in the pond. The lucky ones that the Koi didn't eat turned into bull frogs and kept us up all night. I LOVE the little white African Clawed Frog. They start out so tiny and get really big, and you can keep him in a 20 gal. I'm pretty sure you can get those as tadpoles too. When we got ours it was a big as your pinky nail....so cute.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
dmarcus said:
zesty_17 said:

we found that the tadpoles like to eat the algae off of something rather than come to the surface, and for water clarity's sake at the zoo, we don't drop a whole wafer in the tank with them. takes like 5 min to spread a think layer of algae paint on some pvc, let it dry & drop it in.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
terryo said:
Can you post some pictures? Did they turn into frogs yet? Each year we got thousands of tadpoles in the pond. The lucky ones that the Koi didn't eat turned into bull frogs and kept us up all night. I LOVE the little white African Clawed Frog. They start out so tiny and get really big, and you can keep him in a 20 gal. I'm pretty sure you can get those as tadpoles too. When we got ours it was a big as your pinky nail....so cute.

I have been trying but its always in a bad spot for photos and since I have never dealt with tadpoles I don't want to pick them up, lol... We started with 11 tadpoles and now we have about 8 left and thats with the one huge one thats getting its legs... When I get a good photo I will post it.

zesty_17 said:
dmarcus said:
zesty_17 said:

Thats cool, I will have to try it.

we found that the tadpoles like to eat the algae off of something rather than come to the surface, and for water clarity's sake at the zoo, we don't drop a whole wafer in the tank with them. takes like 5 min to spread a think layer of algae paint on some pvc, let it dry & drop it in.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
turkey baster or spoon to scoop them upworks well to transfer.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
zesty_17 said:

I'm worried about stressing them but if that's not an issue I have no problem getting them out by hand.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
dmarcus said:
zesty_17 said:

I'm worried about stressing them but if that's not an issue I have no problem getting them out by hand.

they seem to be pretty hardy at this stage, so long as you don't drop them on the ground, etc... remember out in the wild they have all sorts of stuff to deal with, as long as you are careful they should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.