Tadpole help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Inspired by our friend in the photo below my wife has decided she wants to raise a few frogs from tadpoles and although we have read up on how to do this first had knowledge from someone who has done it is always better. So if someone can tell me how they raised frogs from tadpoles will be very appriciated and helpful.

downsized950727112003a.jpg

This one still lives in our back yard, he moved out of the brick and into a hide that Tejas refused to go into and we enjoy that it has decided to stay..

Thanks for any help

Dmarcus

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
I am not a expert. But, I don't think it takes alot of effort to raise tad poles into frogs. Just make sure that they have water and maybe put a net over the water to keep predators out.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Make sure they are fed well otherwise they will cannibalize each other! My nephew had one of those little kits where you send away for the tadpoles. He got a little lackadaisical on the feeding and before you knew it 10 tadpoles turned into 3 VERY fat tadpoles!!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
The picture you have there is actually a toad I believe, not a frog. Not sure what kind though...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some species are carnivores. Fish food flakes work well for those. Other species are herbivores and scrape up algae off of rocks. For those species algae covered rocks from a pond or safe stream work best, but you can also try those algae discs from Wardley or Hikari for feeding plecos. When you start to see some legs developing, provide a "beach" of some sort so they can get out of the water when they are ready.

Do you know which species you are getting? If its the kind that comes in with the feeder goldfish, those are usually Rana catesbeiana.

I always started them in a 10 gallon tank with some sort of small filter.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I did this a lot when I was a little kid, but that was like 40 years ago and my mom always helped. All I really remember was her buying those fairy shrimp to feed them and that they would turn into frogs and escape. I loved watching them change and I loved catching tadpoles.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry I tend to label toads and frogs together when I talk about them and I do know the difference. Guess it's like calling a tortoise a turtle... "sorry"..

We are getting a combination of Bullfrog, Southern Leopard and Tree frog but not sure which type of tree frog.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I use to keep frogs and i use to feed....
Pond weeds....etc...fish food....and they use to eat flies etc.. ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Bullfrogs.....love them. However, remember this saying;

What do you get when you put three bullfrogs in a tank? One well fed bullfrog....

Good luck...the tadpoles sure are fun...I would suggest a place that they can escape to away from the other frogs/toads :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
IMAG0008.jpg

Not the greatest photo but it is sitting at the entrance of the hide that was suppose to be for Tejas...

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Are you keeping them outside in a pond? If so algae will grow and they can eat that with some fish food flakes. Goldfish will eat the algae -- so flakes are good!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You guys are planning on three separate enclosures for those three separate species, right?

There will be carnage, if not... just letting you know ahead of time.

Bullfrogs are cool. They get to a point where they will eat anything you dangle in front of them.:)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You won't be able to raise the different species together. Bullfrog tadpoles get very large, and though they eat algae at first, they turn into sharks and eat each other. A bullfrog tadpole will get about 4" long before the tail starts to shrink. Toads, at least Eastern toads mature at a very small size. In the spring here I find fully developed toads 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. Treefrogs, at least here, are similar in size when they crawl out of the water. All are very cool to watch go through their metamorphosis.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
yagyujubei said:
You won't be able to raise the different species together. Bullfrog tadpoles get very large, and though they eat algae at first, they turn into sharks and eat each other. A bullfrog tadpole will get about 4" long before the tail starts to shrink. Toads, at least Eastern toads mature at a very small size. In the spring here I find fully developed toads 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. Treefrogs, at least here, are similar in size when they crawl out of the water. All are very cool to watch go through their metamorphosis.

Very good information, we will have to keep the seperated then to avoid any problems...

wellingtoncdm said:
The toad in the photo look like a marine toad aka cane toad bufo toad. Thay get huge and are toxic if eaten and we have millions in South Florida!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad

The one in the picture comes and goes all the time, not sure where but it calls our back yard home. He stays hidden until dark then ie ventures out.

SailingMystic said:
Are you keeping them outside in a pond? If so algae will grow and they can eat that with some fish food flakes. Goldfish will eat the algae -- so flakes are good!

Werer gonna work on a small pond but they will start off in an aquarium..

Tom said:
You guys are planning on three separate enclosures for those three separate species, right?

There will be carnage, if not... just letting you know ahead of time.

Bullfrogs are cool. They get to a point where they will eat anything you dangle in front of them.:)

Tom this is new to use so that information we did not know. We are now working on seperate enclosure for the different specises. We want to avoid any carnage if possible. The person that were getting them from did not mention that to use and it would have been good to know...

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
As a kid I had bullfrogs and greenfrog tadpoles, by the end I had one bullfrog. Bullfrogs are cool, but even if well fed they eat their neighbors.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I keep wondering why my bullfrog isn't eating the tadpoles in our pond or the baby frogs-- maybe I don't have a bullfrog?? It's big--- but not huge... Need to do more research. They are so neat. One comes to meet me at the side of the pond for a worm- she will dive up and take it out of my hand. Herbie (my box turtle) doesn't mind sharing her worms.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Maybe you have a well mannered Bullfrog. He seems to be a bit domesticated, if he's eating worms from your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.