Tadpole excitement...again...im going to be a father...again....pictures...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
4 Days ago i took a 7cm strand of toad (bufo bufo) eggs from a clutch of about 500 i had as there was overcrowding and water started to smell....they was in an hourglass shape when collected 4 days ago...(picture below)
IMG00255-20120406-1543.jpg

^^That was them...i put them in a smaller container with shallow water and left them alone in my bedroom...i went into check on them today and this is what i found...
IMG00257-20120408-1335.jpg

IMG00258-20120408-1335.jpg

They are outside of the protective jelly but there ''heads'' are still On them...but they are not inside the jelly any longer there on the outside..They are like...TINY black peapods....and they wag there tails like a dog...they flick them everynow and again making them move..i dont know why they do this but i know they are suppose to! I can see theyre teeeny tiny gills...
!

Questions!!

Is this my tadpoles hatched? I meen i know to feed them when they begin to swim but is them hatched now? :) IM soo excited..
I have boiled lettuce and calcium mixed in together in an icecube tray like i was told...do i thaw out the lettuce or just drop a frozen cube in? IM SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!
I can-not believe i had all them eggs for 8 days nothing happened i had these for 4 days and theyve hatched!! :p

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's an awfully long time since I raised tadpoles Tyler. From what I remember they will swim freely like fish when they are ready for feeding. I seem to remember they eat most if not all of the jelly from the spawn too.

As for the ice cubes, just drop one in. It will thaw quite quickly. Only put in one at a time and don't put any more in until the first has all been eaten.

(We used to feed them bacon rind which I'm sure is not good for them... but that was about 40 years ago! :D)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
haha!! Thankyou so much!! xx

how long will it take for them to stop squirming and start swimming?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like you have gotten good answers, and I agree to just drop the cube in and let it thaw out in the water...

Those that have moved away from the jelly, just put a pinch of fish flake food in there with them...

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
should i do that now cause they dont even look like creatures theyre kinda oblong blobs...but sonme you can tell are animals... :?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
UPDATE!!
Alot off the jelly has dissapeared as theyre is like 40 hungry tadpoles attatched to it, there are about 8 on there side on the floor, -
(theyre all on there side and these are still alive!!)
And some have attatched themselves to the side off the container with there sticky substance...

Where i said they was flicking theyre tails and i was getting excited... they got one step further most of them wiggle there tails so much they swim with control for about 4 seconds and then they get tired and rest for a few minutes again... There is one tad that swam from one end off the container to the other...it was great.... Im amazed how far they have come in about 5 days! :D

~And the ones on the jelly that swim always make it back to the jelly...aha and some are using theyre tail to get in the middle off the jelly....some you can see are creatures and have gills but others just look like blobs whilst there lead on there side but once theyre swimming straight you can see there gills and begining to shape into tads...they look like black newt tadpoles! :D hahahaha
P.S- I got a video but i cant upload it to photobucket :(

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If you figure out how to upload that video, it would be cool to see...

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Do you know how to? its not a good video its just taking the first swim nothing special! :d

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Not really sure, I use photo bucket for my videos and then I can add them to youtube from there..

Status
Not open for further replies.