Table vs enclosed

S2G

Location (City and/or State)
AL
Ok so I liked the idea of a table & love the looks. However, my humidity is like 30% in the main enclosure. Its setup just like this egytptian setup below. In have the humid hide, but the rest of the humidity just isnt sitting right. I know this is opinion, but I'm thinking of going mostly enclosed with 70% all over mainly. @Tom

Next year I think I'm going full outdoor & letting them brumate like garden state.

TisMary

New York
Ok so I liked the idea of a table & love the looks. However, my humidity is like 30% in the main enclosure. Its setup just like this egytptian setup below. In have the humid hide, but the rest of the humidity just isnt sitting right. I know this is opinion, but I'm thinking of going mostly enclosed with 70% all over mainly.
What about hooking up a misting system? We have a Mist King in our chameleon enclosure. It's on a programmable timer and keeps the humidity up where he needs it. I realize the chameleon enclosure is entirely different, but if I can't keep the humidity high enough with my handy dandy spritz bottle, I'm considering this for the tort as well (don't have one yet - tortoise, that is - have the spritz bottle and the misting system!)

Anyone have experience using an automatic misting system in an open tortoise table?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only real way to keep humidity where it needs to be is a closed chamber. It's been proven too many times, over and over, on this forum, that open tables don't work when it comes too humidity and temps too actually.
If you do a search or read the care sheets you would see they don't work, not for hatchlings and needed until around 3 years or so of age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok so I liked the idea of a table & love the looks. However, my humidity is like 30% in the main enclosure. Its setup just like this egytptian setup below. In have the humid hide, but the rest of the humidity just isnt sitting right. I know this is opinion, but I'm thinking of going mostly enclosed with 70% all over mainly. @Tom

Next year I think I'm going full outdoor & letting them brumate like garden state.

With Testudo species, an open table can work, but its not ideal, and compromises will have to be made. Closed chambers make our lives easier and the tortoise's lives better. Try one. You'll never go back.

S2G

AL
With Testudo species, an open table can work, but its not ideal, and compromises will have to be made. Closed chambers make our lives easier and the tortoise's lives better. Try one. You'll never go back.

That's the answer I'm looking for. Do you have an enclosed example I can look at if you dont mind? It's what I'm used to. I like the look of a tortoise table better, but maintaining the right humidity is way more important to me.

S2G

AL
The only real way to keep humidity where it needs to be is a closed chamber. It's been proven too many times, over and over, on this forum, that open tables don't work when it comes too humidity and temps too actually.
If you do a search or read the care sheets you would see they don't work, not for hatchlings and needed until around 3 years or so of age.

I see that now. I've tried the table, but humidity is way too dry for my comfort. I used to high humidity animals. This is my first arid or dryer animal. Everyone preaches tables, but unless your room is at rotting the wood status theres no way to keep the right hunidity

S2G

AL
What about hooking up a misting system? We have a Mist King in our chameleon enclosure. It's on a programmable timer and keeps the humidity up where he needs it. I realize the chameleon enclosure is entirely different, but if I can't keep the humidity high enough with my handy dandy spritz bottle, I'm considering this for the tort as well (don't have one yet - tortoise, that is - have the spritz bottle and the misting system!)

Anyone have experience using an automatic misting system in an open tortoise table?

In my dart frog days I'd be with you, but its pointless with this table. It's kind of funny I'm gravy at 80%, but struggling at 70