table feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agentx

5 Year Member
Hi,

I was hoping you guys would be able to give me some feedback on a table I'm looking to make for a Russian Tortoise. I haven't started the build because I'd prefer to be sure I'm making it right before I start.

Enclosure
I was looking to make a 7x2 table out of plywood. It would be 18 inches high to allow for 5-6 inches of substrate and still have 12-13 inches of living space for my tort. I heard using Linoleum tiles on the inside will keep the tort from touching the wood. I've found 12 inch by 12 inch tiles that are stick on that should do the job.

I'm planning on the size for when my tort gets to full size so I don't need to make larger and larger ones as it grows. Will that be a sufficient size for a full grown Russian Tortoise? I originally wanted to get two Russians but I don't want them to feel too cooped up. Will the table be big enough for two? I'm debating a second level to add more space so that's always an option of things are too small.

Substrate
My plan was to use the 50/50 mix of coco bedding and either play sand or organic topsoil. I've seen the coco bedding in loose and compressed form, it there a difference between the two or it just neater to stack blocks instead of bags? What are your thoughts on play sand vs. topsoil? From what I read some people say it can go either way but I wonder what would be the more optimal choice.

Lights
I already have a 5.0 florescent bulb and fixture. I plan on getting a light for a basking spot as well. With the length of the table would it make sense for a basking spot on both ends and a cool in the middle or do you guys think the tortoise will go the whole distance? I also was wondering about suspending the lights. I wanted to suspend them over the tank so they shine directly down but for some reason can't grasp the concept of how to properly attach them to the wood hanger I plan on attaching to the base of the table. Any tips/suggestions on how to best hang my lamps?

Humidity
I hear a lot of varying opinions on humidity. I hear some people saying Russians need it humid and others say they keep it very dry. Is there an ideal % for humidity? I was thinking of a humid hide on the hot side and a dry hide on the cool. Any other hides will just be as is.

Some of the other stuff I have a good handle on. I plan on multiple hides, a couple I wanted to make into a burrow by using premade hides and burying them in the substrate. Water and food dishes I should be all set with.

Sorry for asking so many questions. I want to be sure I have things right before I get the tortoise. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.