Swollen shut eyes

jvillanueva

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County,CA
So my RT has had an abscess problem (my other thread) for some time now. He has been perfectly fine through it all. Recently all activity has stopped and he has stopped eating. Hasn't ate for almost 3 weeks. His eyes are swollen shut and have a tad bit of leakage to them. It's a small tear hear and there but it's a brownish color. I've been doing warm soaks under the heat lamp for an hour daily. Today I gave him the left over baytril he had from his abscess. Anyone know what this sounds like? I've been trying so hard to heal his abscess and now this! I have a feeling we're going to be visiting the doc soon. =(

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Personally, I would not try to treat this myself.
I would go to a vet, like Dr. Greek, today.
Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a turtle or tortoise stops eating the first thing it effects is the eyes. The lack of vitamin A from not eating causes the eyes to swell shut. Your tortoise would benefit from the Gerber strained carrots soaks. But this only fixes the problem, and doesn't address why the tortoise stopped eating in the first place. Unless he eats the eye lids will swell again.

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Kathy; that's exactly who I am taking him to tomorrow. =)

Yvonne; I've been reading that the carrot soaks help out a lot I'm going to try that ASAP. Hopefully he gets better soon, or shows some signs of improvement. He is very sluggish lately and he's never been like this since I got him.

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
RT very ill. HELP

So Glenn is getting worse and worse. Today when I woke up his head was completely back, like touching his shell. I've been soaking him for 1 hour daily. Don't have the funds to take him to the vet yet. He has stopped eating and is getting lethargic. Today I gave him 3ML of jump start to try and get him going. He keeps stretching his head all the way back until it's touching his shell. He spit up some of the jump start I gave him. Anyone know whats going on?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: RT very ill. HELP

It sounds like he's choking on something.

I'm pretty sure you have an emergency here. It should depend on having funds. See if your vet will take payments.

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Yvonne: what if I call my vet and refill his baytril, continue to soak, and raise his temps? I'm doing a lot of research on his symptoms and I believe he has a respiratory infection. The stuff he spit up is mucus I'm pretty sure. Is there anything else that you would suggest me doing for this?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Poor guy. I hope you can get him to the Vet soon! Most Vets are in it for the love of animals.. and will take payment arrangements (i.e. post dated checks).

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
I'm taking him to Dr. Greek today at 3:45. There is no way he can wait another day or so he's doing terrible. Mucus coming out if his mouth head back and it sorta looks like he is grasping for air. He keeps his head to the right, almost like he doesn't have enough energy to keep it up.

*gasping

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Hello everyone, just wanted to inform everyone who has been following my threads that Glenn has passed away today. Such an unfortunate thing to happen. We were literally getting ready to go see Dr. Greek, when I noticed he was in the same position he was in before I had gotten in the shower. It is affirmative that he is gone. A big thank you to all of you who have given me advice, tips and showed that you cared about my little guy.