Swollen cloaca

Melissa101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all, I’ll try to keep this as short as poss, but also include as much relevant info as I can!

I have a 15yr old pair of tortoises. They were bought for me when I was around 14, and my parents thought they were doing the right thing by trusting the breeder who told us that tortoises need company & must be sold in pairs. I’ve since learned that’s not the case, and am in the process of deciding whether to re-home one (not ideal and upsetting) or to see if I can afford 2 tortoise tables & outdoor enclosures etc! So far, I haven’t seen any aggression from the male, but I know it won’t always be the case.

Anyway, onto the problem. Georgie, the female, has been straining as if trying to defecate, on and off for the past week. We’ve done regular warm soaks, and I’ve offered her fruit alongside her usual salad leaves & dandelions etc.

Yesterday I noticed her whole tail area is swollen, with brown discharge that I think might be wet faeces, leaking out. She’s still eating, but is much more subdued, sleeping a lot & not her usual self (charging round the run etc). I’m worried maybe she is trying to lay eggs for the first time, but they’re stuck?

Ive called our reptile vet & described the symptoms. They said they think she’ll be ok until their next appointment, which is next week. They warned me that they’ll prob need to do xrays, which will be expensive, alongside the larger charge for an exotic animal consult.

Im just hoping someone might be able to set my mind at ease? I’m worried that the appointment isn’t until Tuesday, I’m worried that it’ll be something serious, and (selfishly) I’m worried it’ll be really expensive. I’m furloughed, and my husband just had to take a pay cut, and things are so tight right now that we just can’t afford hundreds of pounds...but obviously I care about Georgie & don’t want her feeling this way, and want to help!

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate any help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like it might be kidney/bladder stones. Or, since it's the female, she might be egg bound. I would set her up in a smallish tub that you can keep warmer than outside, and keep the temperature in the tub 80-85F degrees day and night. If she is egg bound the constant heat may help the egg to pass.

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
Sounds like it might be kidney/bladder stones. Or, since it's the female, she might be egg bound. I would set her up in a smallish tub that you can keep warmer than outside, and keep the temperature in the tub 80-85F degrees day and night. If she is egg bound the constant heat may help the egg to pass.
Thank you!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all, I’ll try to keep this as short as poss, but also include as much relevant info as I can!

I have a 15yr old pair of tortoises. They were bought for me when I was around 14, and my parents thought they were doing the right thing by trusting the breeder who told us that tortoises need company & must be sold in pairs. I’ve since learned that’s not the case, and am in the process of deciding whether to re-home one (not ideal and upsetting) or to see if I can afford 2 tortoise tables & outdoor enclosures etc! So far, I haven’t seen any aggression from the male, but I know it won’t always be the case.

Anyway, onto the problem. Georgie, the female, has been straining as if trying to defecate, on and off for the past week. We’ve done regular warm soaks, and I’ve offered her fruit alongside her usual salad leaves & dandelions etc.

Yesterday I noticed her whole tail area is swollen, with brown discharge that I think might be wet faeces, leaking out. She’s still eating, but is much more subdued, sleeping a lot & not her usual self (charging round the run etc). I’m worried maybe she is trying to lay eggs for the first time, but they’re stuck?

Ive called our reptile vet & described the symptoms. They said they think she’ll be ok until their next appointment, which is next week. They warned me that they’ll prob need to do xrays, which will be expensive, alongside the larger charge for an exotic animal consult.

Im just hoping someone might be able to set my mind at ease? I’m worried that the appointment isn’t until Tuesday, I’m worried that it’ll be something serious, and (selfishly) I’m worried it’ll be really expensive. I’m furloughed, and my husband just had to take a pay cut, and things are so tight right now that we just can’t afford hundreds of pounds...but obviously I care about Georgie & don’t want her feeling this way, and want to help!

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate any help.

Sorry to disagree with your vet, but you really need to have the tortoise X-rayed right away to determine whether she has eggs, a possible intestinal or fecal impaction, or maybe a huge bladder stone as Yvonne mentioned. Waiting until next Tuesday do do anything definitive is taking a risk with the tortoise's life if one of the more serious aforementioned problems is the case.

Is there any veterinary school near you which might do the radiograph and examination. Many times the schools are less costly than the vets in private practice because they are anxious to find learning cases for their students.

What species of tortoise do you have?

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry to disagree with your vet, but you really need to have the tortoise X-rayed right away to determine whether she has eggs, a possible intestinal or fecal impaction, or maybe a huge bladder stone as Yvonne mentioned. Waiting until next Tuesday do do anything definitive is taking a risk with the tortoise's life if one of the more serious aforementioned problems is the case.

Is there any veterinary school near you which might do the radiograph and examination. Many times the schools are less costly than the vets in private practice because they are anxious to find learning cases for their students.

What species of tortoise do you have?
Thanks for your reply, I’m not sure about a veterinary school, but I’ll have a look!

They’re both spur thighed torts.

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
Ok I’ve changed the appointment and they’re gonna see her tomorrow. But they said if they think she needs a certain type of scan it’s gonna be £500 for that, plus the £55 consult, and then any further treatment costs, and I just can’t afford that. I explained the situation & they said they’re gonna explore all possible options. I’ll keep looking around for alternatives too.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ok I’ve changed the appointment and they’re gonna see her tomorrow. But they said if they think she needs a certain type of scan it’s gonna be £500 for that, plus the £55 consult, and then any further treatment costs, and I just can’t afford that. I explained the situation & they said they’re gonna explore all possible options. I’ll keep looking around for alternatives too.

Hopefully the vet will give you a price break. I am a health care provider myself and always give people who are having financial difficulties price reductions, payment plan options, or even do their treatment at no charge in the most dire circumstances. The first concern is not the money, but the welfare of the patient (or it should be in a perfect world).

That being said, I am very glad to hear that you are going to see the vet tomorrow. I hope he/she will be able to diagnose and treat your tortoise's problem expeditiously and without excessive cost to you.

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
Hopefully the vet will give you a price break. I am a health care provider myself and always give people who are having financial difficulties price reductions, payment plan options, or even do their treatment at no charge in the most dire circumstances. The first concern is not the money, but the welfare of the patient (or it should be in a perfect world).

That being said, I am very glad to hear that you are going to see the vet tomorrow. I hope he/she will be able to diagnose and treat your tortoise's problem expeditiously and without excessive cost to you.
Thank you, I really appreciate your advice. I hope so too!

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
The vet did a couple of xrays & said it looks like only constipation! Phew!

He said not to feed any fruit to “try to get things moving”, as there’s a risk of it fermenting inside her, but to just focus on grass. Does this mean dandelions too? Or literally just grazing on grass outside?

He said if nothing happens in a week, or the swelling doesn’t go down, to bring her back in. What a relief! She also seemed a bit brighter this morning, so that was lovely!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes, the vet is correct about the fruit fermenting if it remains in the gut too long. I would recommend soaking the tortoise daily for about 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water and letting it eat grass and/or hay. I don't think dandelions are a problem, but why not just double check to be sure by phoning your vet tomorrow?

If the tortoise defecates, please post so we will know things are going along through the gut properly.

Best of luck!