Switching to a plastic enlosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
So I was having some troubles at keeping the humidity very stable in my Leopard's enclosure and I am switching from my hand-built wooden box to a plastic storage container that I found at Lowe's. I just laid down a mixture of soil/sand mixture and seeded is with bermuda so that he would have a constant supply of food growing. The new container is 43"L x 19.5"W x 6.7"H vs my old which was 48"L x 24"W x 12"H. What I thought was neat about this particular container (besides being able to grow grass in it) was the lid that it had on it. The lid is hinged in the middle which will allow half to be covered and the other half open. I will also be creating an area of small pebbles under where his light will hang so as to provide a better basking spot. I think this should be able produce a great temperature/humidity gradient for a young leopard. It is also much less bulky and slight more attractive than the old enclosure (I'm not a professional carpenter by any means). I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this plan for an enclosure :p

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
I did the same, but to add space, I created a second tier. It's not hard to do, and it looks cool. On the second tier, you can grow the weeds/vegetables and it's easy to take care of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why not just make a lid. The bigger enclosure would be the better one. Bigger is always better. Don't forget they are used to open land with no wall, so bigger. Also, not pebbles, they could eat them and impacted. Get a flat piece of rock or slate to bask on.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Plus I don't know if this has been made clear, the ENTIRE enclosure does not have to have the high humidity. Just having a humid type of hide for him to go into will work.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I am so glad you mentioned that because all this time I thought the entire closure has to have humidity. Then if you only keep the hide humid how to you make sure temps are ok to avoid the cool damp situation? Would simply keeping the hise in the warm side under heat lights be enough in a large area?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
MasterOogway said:
I am so glad you mentioned that because all this time I thought the entire closure has to have humidity. Then if you only keep the hide humid how to you make sure temps are ok to avoid the cool damp situation? Would simply keeping the hise in the warm side under heat lights be enough in a large area?

Some use the location of the heat source and some use things to keep the substrate/bedding within the hide warm (such as heat tapes and UTH {Under Tank Heaters}). You would need to try it and see what the temps do within the hide.

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Georgia
Jacqui said:
Plus I don't know if this has been made clear, the ENTIRE enclosure does not have to have the high humidity. Just having a humid type of hide for him to go into will work.

That is why I like the hinged lid. I can keep the open area to a lower humidity because A) open air exposure and B) that will be where they lamp is closest which creates a much drier air in his enclosure. My tort tends to avoid his humid hide so I am somewhat having to force him to be in humid areas to help his shell development.

wellington said:
Why not just make a lid. The bigger enclosure would be the better one. Bigger is always better. Don't forget they are used to open land with no wall, so bigger. Also, not pebbles, they could eat them and impacted. Get a flat piece of rock or slate to bask on.

The wood is not treated so humidity = mold problems. Already noticed some places under where his water sits whenever I changed that substrate last. The size difference is also not too extreme and I only keep him inside during the cold months. The pebbles will be the size of his head so there is no fear of impaction.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Thanks I am not familiar with heat tape is it something sold at hardware stores or can it be found in pet stores for reptiles ? Thanks

Also is it ok to have the entire closure humid or should they have a less humid area to go to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to keep and eye on him when using only a humid hide. Some will still pyramid and some won't use the humid hide at all. Although it can work, and sometimes is easier to have just a humid hide, sometimes, the entire enclosure being humid is easier and works better. It all depends in the tort.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Thank! I think keeping the entire enclosure is much easier for me .I just wanted to make sure I did not need a dry area with no humidity . Thanks :)

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Is that the same with redfoots and russians, where the just need a hide in high humidity?
Also the plastic tub is it the brand called roughneck and is like a dark beighy colour?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
shelloise said:
Is that the same with redfoots and russians, where the just need a hide in high humidity?
Also the plastic tub is it the brand called roughneck and is like a dark beighy colour?

I would assume with your red foot like my yellow foot the whole enclosure should be humid and an atempt to have. Your hide at 100%. I'm not a 100% sure for russians

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Georgia
shelloise said:

No its a rubbermaid I believe. I know which ones you are talking about because I looked at them too but I chose this container because it was a shorter (7" vs like 24") under the bed type and a hinged two part lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.