Suspected, but nonetheless, surprise babies!

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
We took in a wandering sully in early May of this year. In June, we noticed her digging. I marked the date/site, but really didn't expect much.

On September 22nd, we noticed a tiny little sully hiding by the wall! So we investigated, and we indeed had babies! Yay.

When I went up to the nest, there was a nice sized hole that I could fit my fist in.

So far, 6 live babies were found. Most were still inside the nest. When digging further down, we smelled death - rotten eggs. I assume we will find more in the yard, but they are likely hiding well.

With that said, I have 6 babies. All eating, drinking and active. It was so very fun finding them!

IMG_20180924_132304_254.jpg IMG_20180923_205612_748.jpg IMG_20180923_175236_223.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180924_135740_159.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 28

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Also, I just found my old username on this forum. ShellyTurtleTort. I tried to sign in, but it said my profile didn't exist, so I made a new one.

Whoops.

Karen S

Poquoson VA
We took in a wandering sully in early May of this year. In June, we noticed her digging. I marked the date/site, but really didn't expect much.

On September 22nd, we noticed a tiny little sully hiding by the wall! So we investigated, and we indeed had babies! Yay.

When I went up to the nest, there was a nice sized hole that I could fit my fist in.

So far, 6 live babies were found. Most were still inside the nest. When digging further down, we smelled death - rotten eggs. I assume we will find more in the yard, but they are likely hiding well.

With that said, I have 6 babies. All eating, drinking and active. It was so very fun finding them!

That’s so amazing!! Do you plan to keep all of the little boyos?

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I’ve never seen anyone post babies that were hatched without an incubator. I always thought it was almost impossible for some reason. This makes me so happy.

Really? I mean, that could be why a lot of the eggs didn't hatch.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Wow... very cool. Good looking bunch of hatchlings!

Can you tell how many eggs in total were layed?

Around 20, I think. A lot were bad eggs. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_220545_931.jpg
    IMG_20180925_220545_931.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20180923_201646_698.jpg
    IMG_20180923_201646_698.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
Around 20, I think. A lot were bad eggs. :(

My biology brain says they just were not fertilized?

But none the less, all the eggs that were meant to be baby torts have or will hatch! Nature is running its course as it should in such a situation!!!

...And I do love that a knocked up lady tort went looking for a welcoming household!!! And clearly found the PERFECT backyard to dig in! [emoji8]

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
My biology brain says they just were not fertilized?

But none the less, all the eggs that were meant to be baby torts have or will hatch! Nature is running its course as it should in such a situation!!!

...And I do live that a knocked up lady tort went looking for a welcoming household!!! And clearly found the PERFECT backyard to dig in! [emoji8]

Every egg, except for one, had veining. Something grew, but stopped. One egg blew up when I grabbed it, and a half formed tortoise popped out.

She actually tore up part of a garden while laying her eggs. Lol

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
Every egg, except for one, had veining. Something grew, but stopped. One egg blew up when I grabbed it, and a half formed tortoise popped out.

She actually tore up part of a garden while laying her eggs. Lol

I am going to remain my Sagittarius optimistic - ish -ness ... and say that any eggs that didn't create breathing torts had some level of mis-formation and therefore would never become a viable tort, jus like humans!!!

...But I just am a single gal... raising Bob[emoji217] and Montana[emoji190]!!! (Clearly they are both my biological children as I have a Leo and a red Merle Aussie... (both are freckled ish)) [emoji8]