Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

steiner302

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

I have a redfoot that is around the 6 month mark...(3 inches).

I have had my redfoot for almost 3 weeks now and he/she was scaring me at first, but this past week has eaten like a champ and has been moving around pretty well....(when he is not snoozing)

I have been following the redfoots.com diet and methods.

I have an Aquarium/Plant Bulb...and NO UVB.

The first few weeks I have been using Phosphorus Free Calcium with D3 as a supplement 2-3 times a week sprinkled on the food. It is Rep Cal. I actually had this stuff already which I use for another reptile.

I plan on starting him/her on protein this weekend and I read that this contains enough D3 for them.

Is Rep Cal with D3 overkill? How many times if at all do you guys use those powder supplements? What do you use. I think I might just go find the Calcium Carbonate without the D3...but just throwing this out there.

I know I am over thinking things...but this guy is so cute and I don't want to hurt him buy using the wrong stuff.

Thanks,
Mitch

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
steiner302 said:
Hey everyone,

I have a redfoot that is around the 6 month mark...(3 inches).

I have had my redfoot for almost 3 weeks now and he/she was scaring me at first, but this past week has eaten like a champ and has been moving around pretty well....(when he is not snoozing)

I have been following the redfoots.com diet and methods.

I have an Aquarium/Plant Bulb...and NO UVB.

The first few weeks I have been using Phosphorus Free Calcium with D3 as a supplement 2-3 times a week sprinkled on the food. It is Rep Cal. I actually had this stuff already which I use for another reptile.

I plan on starting him/her on protein this weekend and I read that this contains enough D3 for them.

Is Rep Cal with D3 overkill? How many times if at all do you guys use those powder supplements? What do you use. I think I might just go find the Calcium Carbonate without the D3...but just throwing this out there.

I know I am over thinking things...but this guy is so cute and I don't want to hurt him buy using the wrong stuff.

Thanks,
Mitch

Mitch you are not only over-thinking you are "overkilling" everything else! You are actually hurting him by adding all of the supps!!! He is still real young.

Better study this a lot more.. http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

This is not a personal attack..... read please.

Terry

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I kept a trio of redfoots for over thirty years and basically kept them on Terry's diet and husbandry regime (pre-Terry) and they thrived. These directions work.

steiner302

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was just asking to make sure. Thanks.

I have everything set up the way the the caresheet states. Just sprinkled the Calcium supplements because of his lack of eating at first and thought he might be lacking some calcium.

He is doing so well right now. As we speak he/she is drinking water and chomping on his greens. I am glad you let me know that overkill on the D3 is bad for the little one. I will stop immediately.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.