Superworms loose in habitat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Soooo...the last batch of superworms I bought were super feisty. They flop around a lot and are quick to escape her dish while she is devouring one of them. I noticed her substrate moving earlier. I dug around in there and found a big fat superworm. So my question is, is it a problem for them to be co-habitating in her habitat? Will she hunt them? She sort of hunted crickets when they would come close, she would strike and have a snack. But I don't think she actively hunted them. Will they eventually turn into beetles if she doesn't eat them?
And yes, this is all sort of new to me, so sorry if my questions seem silly lol. ImageUploadedByTortForum1379437966.803813.jpg

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Not silly at all. Superworms can bite but I have never had this problem. In fact, I saw one of my babies eating a superworm the other day and I had not put any in their pen in days, so yes they will hunt them. If your baby is little though, you may want to feed her in a seperate container so none get loose.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
If the box turtle in the image, is the turtle you are talking about, there is no problem. Real superworms, not giant regular mealworms, generally do not pupate or transform into beetles with other super worms around, they are very cannibalistic.

Also, box turtles are natural insectivores at all stages of life. The digging and looking is great enrichment for them.

Will

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Yeah, the turtle in the picture is her. One of these days I'll measure her. She is kind of petite but she is probably not very young.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Thanks btw! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Nothing a box turtle enjoys more than digging for it's dinner...we dump a big box of worms in my daughter's Ornate's enclosure about once a month and they hunt them down until they're all gone (takes about a month, apparently). You oughtta see 'em when they spot me walking up with the red box...reptilian rhapsody! :D

Gives them something healthy to do, rather than just being bored, waiting for breakfast. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.