sunlight

Ayushjain101

Location (City and/or State)
Kerla
Tort don't want to stay in sun or in uvb. He always go for a shadow. Should i forcefully place him under sun for calcium?

xMario

Germany
Tort don't want to stay in sun or in uvb. He always go for a shadow. Should i forcefully place him under sun for calcium?
Don't force him under uvb or heat they are totally capable of doing that by themselves if they need or want it

Maybe ur heat or uvb is too close

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
If your tort really doesn't want to bathe under uvb bulb or sun, you can use calcium powder mixed with vitamin D3. It doesn't do any harm to torts.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
It all depends on your surrounding. For someone in the colder regions of the planet, bathing in the sun is a necessity. For someone in the hotter regions of the planet, and looks like you are from this region, basking isn't going to be a pleasant experience always. Rest, you should be able to derive from it.

LAwoman

Clio Michigan
4C3C1D7E-C80F-4509-AF59-15F41C75D316.jpeg I have a Leopard Tortoise and he doesn’t lay under my light either. He goes close to his hide away at night, but very seldom does he sleep inside. I have a ceramic heater and
Speaking of UVB lights and heaters... where could a black light come into my habitat? I heard you can use one for heat. All suggestions are welcomed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If your tortoise is outside, it will be getting UVB even in the shade or when it cloudy.

My worst ever sunburn was when I laid in the shade without sunscreen because I was a teenager that ignored my mother. [emoji849]

Tortoises like to feel safe. That means not being put in the open. They’ll look for a bush or undergrowth to hide their presence.

They also can get too hot and @Ayushjain101 is India. The ability to get out of direct sunshine is essential in that climate. Your tortoise is most likely to be active when the day is coolest - in the early hours of the morning and late in the evening.