Sun UVB output graph and data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Doing some research on UVB I came across this data chart. Thought I would share for those who are curious how much UVB some tortoises may get in nature when exposed to sun. The graph is not ideal as data are taken in winter, but some calculations can be made based on the data.

1379340652039.jpg

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wonder what the skin cancer rate is in Australia. I also wonder what it would look like if it were taken during July...probably be reversed with Florida and California looking like what Australia looks on the graph.

Interesting.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
mikeh said:
Doing some research on UVB I came across this data chart. Thought I would share for those who are curious how much UVB some tortoises may get in nature when exposed to sun. The graph is not ideal as data are taken in winter, but some calculations can be made based on the data.

December down-under is summer. That equator thing. Will

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I'm not far behind Cali. Too bad we usually have a little snow at that time and cooler temps. Not too bad on the UVB though:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Sun UVB output graph and data.

Yvonne G said:
if it were taken during July...probably be reversed with Florida and California looking like what Australia looks on the graph.

I think so, too.

Not bad for winter readings though.
Pretty neat so see it on a graph.

Sent from my TFOapp

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Barb, you have snow in the corresponding (reverse) month of the year in the windy city? December in Australia, their solstice would be, what(?) June 21 here in the US.

It is Australia's summer in December, solstice refers to the longest day of the year in terms of photoperiod (day light hours).

That chart, when you read it, shows December readings for north of the equator too, no sunburn those actual days in Chicago. However for the corresponding days for Chicago, late June, we will hear about heat deaths of the elderly on the TV for the windy city.

Will

mikeh

5 Year Member

Will said:
mikeh said:

December down-under is summer. That equator thing. Will

Correct. Like Yvonne said the data can be partially reversed to calculate UVB output in summer for northern hemisphere. For reference, summer mid morning day with clear skies in upstate New York yields to UVB output between +/- 220 us cm2.

I am trying to calculate best amounts for indoor UVB output for baby leopard, based on how much time and what day hours he spent, at his own will, in the sun when he was housed outdoors 24/7 during this summer.

He was pretty consistent with being up and active early am even at low temps to about 10:30-11 am. During peak day hours he would avoid the sun altogether, napping or just looking out from his hides. He would again become active around 3:30 pm till early dusk. Hot or cooler sunny day, did not make a difference on this pattern. On overcast days the peak hours were ignored and tort was active for most of the day.

I am taking into considerations other factors for calculating ideal levels of indoor UVB, such a distance from the tube, area of the habitat covered by UVB, and exposure time he will recieve in a day cycle based on his indoor habits where unlike outdoors, peak hours are ignored and he is out and about all day.

Am I missing anything?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Nice, thanks for sharing - data like this is great for helping to understand captive needs.

-Jen

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do you have a UV meter? Well worth the cost, if only for curiosity sake.

mikeh

5 Year Member
No I don't. Its on the list. Folks on the chameleon forums are obsessed about UVB for obvious reasons, good info can be obtained there.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Just so I'm clear before commenting, are you trying to make sure your Leopard has the best exposure to
UVB?

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE], & Aussies (@YWG)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
jaizei said:

That sounds like a much better idea: measure the output and compare with data from the tort's natural habitat.

Yvonne G said:
I wonder what the skin cancer rate is in Australia. I also wonder what it would look like if it were taken during July...probably be reversed with Florida and California looking like what Australia looks on the graph.

Interesting.

High, really high! Because of the elliptical orbit of the Earth around the sun, Australia is 8-9mill Km closer to the sun than N. America is during our summers; ie, much more intense exposure to UV rays. Of course there are other factors, but that's one major difference as to why their cancer rates are much higher.

mikeh

5 Year Member

Jabuticaba said:
jaizei said:

That sounds like a much better idea: measure the output and compare with data from the tort's natural habitat.

Yvonne G said:

Interesting.

High, really high! Because of the elliptical orbit of the Earth around the sun, Australia is 8-9mill Km closer to the sun than N. America is during our summers; ie, much more intense exposure to UV rays. Of course there are other factors, but that's one major difference as to why their cancer rates are much higher.

Since Australia is at the same latitude as South Africa for example, the data gives very close readings on UVB radiation levels that South African Leopards are exposed to during the summer. These can be compared with charts from North America and assessment can be made how much lower of UVB radiation they receive here, which is substantial.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
mikeh said:
Since Australia is at the same latitude as South Africa for example, the data gives very close readings on UVB radiation levels that South African Leopards are exposed to during the summer. These can be compared with charts from North America and assessment can be made how much lower of UVB radiation they receive here, which is substantial.

Oh, are you comparing it with NT, Australia because you live there?

Status
Not open for further replies.