Sully-sitting

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I've told this story before, and it's the reason when I was doing turtle rescue, that I NEVER adopted out a turtle/tortoise to be a classroom pet:

I had a very friendly female box turtle in my adoption line up. A teacher came to adopt a turtle for a classroom pet - 4th graders - and I thought it might be a good way to teach kids about animals, so I let the teacher choose the one she wanted. When we stepped into the turtle yard, this one friendly turtle came rushing over and kept sniffing at the teacher's shoes. Naturally, this was the one the teacher chose.

She brought me back the turtle after a couple weeks telling me it doesn't come out of its shell. The turtle was closed up tight. Here was this very friendly, outgoing turtle, closed up tighter than a drum. It took over two weeks for her to start to venture out of her shell, but as soon as she saw people, she closed up tight again.

I can only assume the kids in the classroom did exactly what you've described above - poking and prodding, etc. Almost made me cry to imagine what this friendly, unsuspecting turtle went through.

I am devastated hearing this!
How is she today?? (if you still have her)
My God.... why are PEOPLE so cruel to such an innocent animal is mind boggling.
I wish I could help them all. ???

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I am devastated hearing this!
How is she today?? (if you still have her)
My God.... why are PEOPLE so cruel to such an innocent animal is mind boggling.
I wish I could help them all. ???
I was thinking about that last night and afraid to rescue any torts or turtles. Instead of the crazy old cat lady Iʻd be the crazy old tort lady.....wait, Iʻm that already. Ah nevermind.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
so i didnt read the whole thread fully but you want a sully do you?? lol. try having a whole yard full. read this first https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/catferguson/a-reptile-dysfunction and if you do decide on one they are amazing. yes they are bulldogs and can destroy and cause mayhem but then they give you that look and all is forgiven. you can also build UP above ground using marge black tunnels and lots of dirt this tends to prevent them from digging down its what a lot of us do here in florida because we have such a high water table they could drown if the dig down to low. and we deal with a lot of rescues being one ourselves i can def ask around for you when or if you come to that decision, its never a slow day here at the rescue hahaha (used to have some days like that before sullys were involved ? )

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
so i didnt read the whole thread fully but you want a sully do you?? lol. try having a whole yard full. read this first https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/catferguson/a-reptile-dysfunction and if you do decide on one they are amazing. yes they are bulldogs and can destroy and cause mayhem but then they give you that look and all is forgiven. you can also build UP above ground using marge black tunnels and lots of dirt this tends to prevent them from digging down its what a lot of us do here in florida because we have such a high water table they could drown if the dig down to low. and we deal with a lot of rescues being one ourselves i can def ask around for you when or if you come to that decision, its never a slow day here at the rescue hahaha (used to have some days like that before sullys were involved ? )

Hello! Great to meet you!!!
Can we see pictures of the black tunnels
“Above ground” you are speaking of???
?

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Just check with @Chefdenoel10 about sully ownership. We went through sullys, parakeets, I think @Blackdog1714 mentioned a life-sized plastic cow..... I would love a wall-ramming - damage-limited walking garbage disposal. I love my Russian - I mean my SONS Russian, but after mooning over sully pictures, Snoopy looks so neat and petite. Plus Rusiansʻ feet arenʻt as cute.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Just check with @Chefdenoel10 about sully ownership. We went through sullys, parakeets, I think @Blackdog1714 mentioned a life-sized plastic cow..... I would love a wall-ramming - damage-limited walking garbage disposal. I love my Russian - I mean my SONS Russian, but after mooning over sully pictures, Snoopy looks so neat and petite. Plus Rusiansʻ feet arenʻt as cute.

Usually I am soooo against it....
But with you it’s too late...
Go get your sully..!!!!!

He’s like part of our weird crazy family now.
Weird uncles and crazy aunties will help you take care of him...??

How do you call a sully over???...
Like a dog?
Like a cat??
Like a horse?????

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Sorry, nice to meet you too. Also, this started out as baby-sitting one over winter break, then soon decided that I needed to rescue him. I think @Chefdenoel10 also mentioned that the sully would eat my fish, my sonʻs Russian, and I think maybe even my son. But yes, the looks he gives me - the sully, not my son , but my son does give me the occasional look - and not the nice kind. And sullys have such cute feet. They really do.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Go get your sully..!!!!!

Like a dog?
Like a cat??
Like a horse?????
Just put some red toenail polish on ur big toe and stick it out... dont worry he wont bite it

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Go get your sully..!!!!!

Like a dog?
Like a cat??
Like a horse?????
Yay! Uh, what if I AM the weird auntie? ?