sulcate outdoor pen

john p

5 Year Member
hello, I am about to build an outdoor enclosure for my 3 year old sulcatas. do I have to trench down 6-12 inches? if so has anyone ever done this and how did you do it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
hello, I am about to build an outdoor enclosure for my 3 year old sulcatas. do I have to trench down 6-12 inches? if so has anyone ever done this and how did you do it.

I'm no expert, but I have had several Sulcata and I have never dug a trench, or had a tortoise dig under a fence or dig a burrow...if they are happy where they are, in my personal experience, they don't go looking for some place better...

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 18

john p

5 Year Member
I'm no expert, but I have had several Sulcata and I have never dug a trench, or had a tortoise dig under a fence or dig a burrow...if they are happy where they are, in my personal experience, they don't go looking for some place better...

john p

5 Year Member
excellent answer Maggie. That helps me out a lot. Thank you!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
005.JPG099.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Same as Maggie. I've never dig any trenches for my pens. When they dig, they dig down at an angle and then use that tunnel as an entrance and an exit. They don't dig down one way and then back up another. When they burrow, its often 20 feet deep, so you'd be trenching for a loooooooong time.

Please go into your user profile and put in your location. Different advice for Manhattan Beach vs Manhattan Island.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Just make sure to have a strong fence! I used T posts and I bought welded wire panels from a Feedstore. It’s held up very well for 6-7 years!

john p

5 Year Member
excellent answer Maggie. That helps me out a lot. Thank you!
Same as Maggie. I've never dig any trenches for my pens. When they dig, they dig down at an angle and then use that tunnel as an entrance and an exit. They don't dig down one way and then back up another. When they burrow, its often 20 feet deep, so you'd be trenching for a loooooooong time.

Please go into your user profile and put in your location. Different advice for Manhattan Beach vs Manhattan Island.