Sulcata''s for adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I can't find a place to put this, so Mod's move it for me to the appropriate place please.
This came on Julie's facebook if anyone is interested.

Turtle Rescue of Long Island I just posted photos of five of the Sulcata tortoises I have available for adoption. I have two more coming in and one of the SPCA tortoises, which I haven't posted a photo of in the adoption album yet, is also good to go. That one is approx. 8". The smaller one will have to spend some time with us. We still have a sm...all window of opportunity to ship some of these guys to a warmer home before it gets too cold to do so. If you're interested and have an application on file let me know, otherwise please go to our site and submit an application for approval. Would love to get them placed so they don't have to spend the winter cooped up in our basement.

http://www.turtlerescues.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=8040&g2_navId=x37e2f9f0
See More
Sulcata Tortoises Available
www.turtlerescues.org
Sulcata tortoises available for adoption. Please note terms for Sulcata adoption. Warm climate only. See details on adoption application.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OK...where are all the people who said that they would take any Sulcata's if they were up for adoption?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yeah Terry where are they? :D Terry will they ship any of them? Not that I'd want one because I have Fernando and he has to come first, but just wanted to know.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, she said she will ship, because she only wants them to go to a warm climate. I hope someone get's them. Sometimes she has so many that she has to refuse some.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well Terry they are some very nice looking Sulcata's. I hope she finds them nice warm homes Terry with lots of space to be happy in. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Julie, and most rescues have too many hoops to jump through. The "application" asks a bunch of very personal, invasive questions and then you have to sign a contract with several "deal-breakers" in it. I'll gladly pay to ship any young females this way and I'll gladly pay "adoption" fees, but I won't sign a contract saying that I'll give it back if they decide they don't like how I'm keeping it.

This is why some rescues end up with lots of them. I don't have to answer any personal questions or sign any contracts if I just go buy one or if someone just gives me one.

Sorry for the hijack, but you two both asked.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tom said:
This is why some rescues end up with lots of them. I don't have to answer any personal questions or sign any contracts if I just go buy one or if someone just gives me one.

Seriously Tom, I would expect rescue to ask personal questions when adopting an animal (not just torts), they need to ensure the animal you are adopting is going to be taken care of for the rest of its LIFE.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I can understand your frustration Tom, but I can understand where Julie is coming from too. Sometimes they are brought back to her worse than when she got them originally. She's just trying to make sure they go to good homes. What's a little paper work if you can help out some poor abused torts? You know that you are going to give them a great home and that she won't get them back anyway. Julie knows me, but I still filled out all the papers when I got my boxies. She also has to keep track of where they went. Call her up and talk to her. She is a great person, and I'm sure you'll like her.

I forgot about this. Once she e-mailed me to tell me that someone put my pictures of Pio's enclosure on their adoption form. If she didn't know me, and hadn't seen my enclosures, she would have probably sent the little Redfoot that they were trying to adopt. Sometimes she has to be very cautious because of things like this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
JourneyTort said:
Tom said:
Seriously Tom, I would expect rescue to ask personal questions when adopting an animal (not just torts), they need to ensure the animal you are adopting is going to be taken care of for the rest of its LIFE.

If you want to have your personal information floating around out there, then go right ahead. I'm not into that. Likewise, if you want to sign contracts giving people the right to re-possess your tortoises anytime they want, be my guest. I'm not doing it.

I want to give some torts a good home, but not if it means an unnecessary invasion of my privacy and contracts with unacceptable terms. In the case of Julie and her organization, I believe them to be a reputable, decent group. If TerryO and Maggie say they are a good group, then they ARE a good group. If they want to have a phone conversation with me and talk about things that's fine, but the information asked for on that application could be dangerous if it somehow fell into the wrong hands. Not a risk, I'm willing to take. And apparently, many others agree with me.

My main point is: If I acquire a tortoise from any other source, I don't have to go through any invasion of privacy or contracts.

I do understand the need to insure that the torts go to a good home, but I think most rescues take things too far. I know they are trying to do the right thing, but at some point they are either going to have to trust others to do the right thing too or just keep all the animals for themselves.

terryo said:
I can understand your frustration Tom, but I can understand where Julie is coming from too. Sometimes they are brought back to her worse than when she got them originally. She's just trying to make sure they go to good homes. What's a little paper work if you can help out some poor abused torts? You know that you are going to give them a great home and that she won't get them back anyway. Julie knows me, but I still filled out all the papers when I got my boxies. She also has to keep track of where they went. Call her up and talk to her. She is a great person, and I'm sure you'll like her.

I forgot about this. Once she e-mailed me to tell me that someone put my pictures of Pio's enclosure on their adoption form. If she didn't know me, and hadn't seen my enclosures, she would have probably sent the little Redfoot that they were trying to adopt. Sometimes she has to be very cautious because of things like this.

I understand what you are saying Terry. I'm just not willing to give out my personal info or sign those kind of contracts. If mutual friends could vouch for me or something could be worked out in a phone conversation, I'd go ahead with it.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Any g.platynota, g.elegans, a.radiata, a.yniphora or t.kleinmanni that need a home please dont hesitate to ask, I'll pay for shipping - aloha

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
onarock said:
Any g.platynota, g.elegans, a.radiata, a.yniphora or t.kleinmanni that need a home please dont hesitate to ask, I'll pay for shipping - aloha

lol. For any of those types I'll walk to pick them up.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi, I hope this isn't changing the tune of this thread, I know Terry posted this to help find homes for some torts, so if it needs to get moved no big deal. I understand the debate,well maybe this is turning into that?? Being on both sides I feel I can add my 2 cents.
I had a friend years ago who went to our local SPCA to get a new family member. She had just lost their older kitty and wanted another. She brought her young son with her, and can you guess?? He went from cage to cage and saw all the pretty kitty s. She chose a teenager cat rather than a cute kitten in the hopes that the kittens would more than likely find a home and since this was not a no kill shelter... Filled out the 4 pages, than had to have an interview. They asked what would happen if that cat scratched her son, she replied if her son got scratched he probably was doing something he shouldn't and would just be a parent. She went through the 9th degree (yes I was present) They then decided she should not get the cat. By this time of course she really wanted it, and they just said she was not a good home. We left, and later I sent my hubby, sport that he was, to go act like he wanted the cat, please please don't send me anything about fraud.... They told him, after he filled out the 4 pages, that that particular cat was on hold. Maybe they felt something was up, I don't know.Well they never did find a home for that cat and he was put to sleep. She answered an ad for a free cat and had him for 17 years. That was the first of many people at the shelter playing God and although screening homes is something you have to do, there comes a point.
I also have adopted out many rescue dogs, we take in one at a time in our home, and I get very involved and it becomes part of our family that we know we have to part with, and while I want to play God sometimes to and find that 'perfect' 'forever' home. Life is full of twists and you never know what can happen. I have let certain pets go to homes where I know the vaccination I gave them will probably be the last and on the other end have said no to people that could probably purchase Long Island. You weight the plusses and the minuses and do what you think may be in the best interest of the animal.
Wow did I just type alot!!! Sorry just my opinion.
Nay

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"OK...where are all the people who said that they would take any Sulcata's if they were up for adoption?"

Tom summed it up.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
I'm going to put an application in right now... It sure is alot of info though

Just posted an application. Hope to hear back soon.

Terryo, maybe pass it along?

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
terryo said:
Yes, she said she will ship, because she only wants them to go to a warm climate. I hope someone get's them. Sometimes she has so many that she has to refuse some.

I would adopt one in a heartbeat..BUt i live in Michigan not exactly a warmer climate!

Stev0623

5 Year Member
I submitted an application yesterday and hope to hear back soon. I know the site said it would take a week or two, but I just can't stand the thought of a tortoise with no home =[

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
one is all I honestly have room for. If I were to move to a larger place and could have a dynamite enclosure, I'd take them in a heartbeat.

If wishes were fishes
we'd all cast nets in the sea.

teri

Greyfolk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
terryo said:
OK...where are all the people who said that they would take any Sulcata's if they were up for adoption?

I am happy to adopt any sulcata. I live in FL, I have a 4 year-old, Mr. Marley Turtle, living in a 6x16 ft pen outdoors, which has room for other small sulcatas, and is easily ready to expand should A large sulcata find his way to my home.

dustee35

10 Year Member!
I am hoping she will give me a look in Ohio. I filled out the application but have to get pictures printed to send to her so she can look at my enclosures. wish me luck. Deanna

racegirl1000

5 Year Member
We might be interested. Is Dozer a female? We are in North Mississippi and have 2 large sulcatas roaming our backyard. We prefer a female. We have 1/2 acre of fenced area for the torts. The have a digging area in the back of the yard for a summer den and a custom built tortoise house for the winter, complete with radiant heated flooring, basking lamp, timers, tortoise door, and people door. We also have a thick area of banana trees for them to hide under in the summer.

Let me know what you might have available to ship or if you might have someone coming through the Memphis area in the next few months.

Thanks!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.