sulcata's and leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I seem to think up these stupid questions while I am sitting around watching my tortoises and drinking coffee on sunday mornings, my favorite thing to do :D
Stupid question.... I know about the dangers of mixing the species due to the internal pathogens they have grown up with. But I am wondering why it would be just as dangerous to mix the different species from the same continent. For instance, Leopards and Sulcata's. They are both from the same continent, have the same diet and habitat needs and I am sure they run into each other at some point, wouldn't they? Just a stupid question that came to mind this morning.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
They are from the same continent, but their ranges don't overlap. You can though raise CB young animals, until the sulcata starts to out grow the leopard.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

Leo's are much more shy and in a couple of years the difference in size will be evident and the Sulcata will start to bully the Leo. Sometimes the bullying is mental and not physical so the keeper doesn't see it and tells everyone "but they get along so good" meanwhile the Leo has stopped eating and will just whither away and die. Sulcata are great tortoises, but they are aggressive and like I said will bully the Leo...

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
K, thats makes sense about the size difference and then the intimadation. Guess it would not be a good idea to put a 1 1/2 yr old in with a 5 yr old sulcata or ditto that for leopards then would it ;).

How come the territories don't overlap if Leopards are found in north africa to south africa?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Leopards aren't found in North African countries and neither are Sulcatas. All African tortoises (except Greeks and Egyptians) are found south of the Sahara.
Here is a map showing the range of the 2. It's from the Chelonian Library series #1 Leopard and African Spurred Tortoise by Holger Vetter.
P1011349.jpg

Sulcata, Centrochelys sulcata is in brown
Northern Leopard, Stigmochelys pardalis babcocki is in red
Southern Leopard, S. p. pardalis is in blue
The pink is where the 2 subspecies mix

Danny

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ok then, I did not know that. Seems to me that I saw a map that led me to believe the Leopards were pretty much divided one variety to the north and the other variety to the south. Thanks for that clarification Danny.

M

Maggie Cummings

galvinkaos said:
Wow, I'd love to check out Danny's library. :p That is cool.

Dawna

I'd like to check out his brain...actually I have made it my life's work to find a question that he doesn't not have the answer to...

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Isn't it possible that Leopards and Sulcatas could meet eachother in the area that is circled? I am sure neither would hesitate to walk that far for forage or water. It's just a thought :D

P1011349.jpg

Sara

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Sara,
Thats actually a deep canyon 156m below sea level, so no I wouldn't think there was any chance of them meeting. Also a little to the west of that is a large mountain range and thats preventing them from meeting also.

Maggie when your done with it give it back :p
9706f7d932c2b14177.jpg

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are hybrids as far as I know. :)

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

egyptiandan said:
Hi Sara,
Thats actually a deep canyon 156m below sea level, so no I wouldn't think there was any chance of them meeting. Also a little to the west of that is a large mountain range and thats preventing them from meeting also.

Maggie when your done with it give it back :p
9706f7d932c2b14177.jpg

Danny

Good lord! An empty headed man just like my third husband!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!! That really made me laugh out loud. I went to the face in hole web site and I see that you can pick and choose where you want to put your face. Danny: Is that really you? Just curious what you really look like. And Maggie's comment! LOL!!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.