Sulcata Won't Grow

zweii

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I got a few weeks old sulcata from UR on may, today it's about 6 months old, but I don't believe she(he) grew much.
The weight is roughly 52 grams and it was like that for a while.

She is pretty active, visually healthy, and eats every day, couple times a day, yet still small and don't grow much.
Main diet is a spring mix with a daily add-on such as arugula, purple cabbage, alfafra, greens from beetroots and bunch of other greens that I took from the list on this forum.

I was also keeping humidity at high as it was suggested on the forum, without daily baths, but I am doing it a few times a week.

Question: is this normal and she will start growing like crazy after 6 months or something is wrong?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Can you share pictures of your tort and her enclosures? Lighting and temperature will be key factors as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got a few weeks old sulcata from UR on may, today it's about 6 months old, but I don't believe she(he) grew much.

She is pretty active, visually healthy, and eats every day, couple times a day, yet still small and don't grow much.
Main diet is a spring mix with a daily add-on such as arugula, purple cabbage, alfafra, greens from beetroots and bunch of other greens that I took from the list on this forum.

I was also keeping humidity at high as it was suggested on the forum, without daily baths, but I am doing it a few times a week.

Question: is this normal and she will start growing like crazy after 6 months or something is wrong?
Something is wrong.

Where did you get the baby? Its either the typical poor dry start with the breeder, or its a new strain of terrible bacteria that has been infecting baby sulcatas from some sources. Historically, almost no one starts babies of this species correctly.

zweii

New York
Have you ever noticed any yellow spots or bumps on your little one? Any toenail issues?

@mastershake

I don't think so, but please check the photos below.

Can you share pictures of your tort and her enclosures? Lighting and temperature will be key factors as well.

Ceramic lamp that is set to 80F, Normal lamp that is set to 82F, for a few hours a week I place the UVB lamp (10.0 Reptisun).

Enclosure is about 60cm long and 40cm wide.
Pics please?

Something is wrong.

Where did you get the baby? Its either the typical poor dry start with the breeder, or its a new strain of terrible bacteria that has been infecting baby sulcatas from some sources. Historically, almost no one starts babies of this species correctly.

UndergroundReptiles! I don't really know how it was raised... .

@zweii To clarify, by UR you mean Underground Reptiles?

Yessir

4t1Ul2M.png

kcJbCOX.png

MXV1gP7.png

vSGx7P3.png

5o3CKAc.png

4i49Zht.png

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

You should soak her daily for about 30 minutes. She needs to be fed several times thruout the day, the diet is ok but she needs more, and she's way too young to sex. And that's a horrible habitat. Needs to be 80% humidity, plants, bigger, Sulcata need a lot of exercise to aid in digestion

zweii

New York
You should soak her daily for about 30 minutes. She needs to be fed several times thruout the day, the diet is ok but she needs more, and she's way too young to sex. And that's a horrible habitat. Needs to be 80% humidity, plants, bigger, Sulcata need a lot of exercise to aid in digestion

Thank you for reply! I didn’t know about plants, I browsed through some pictures on the forum, and saw no plants, so made my accordingly to what I saw.

Can you share pictures of your habitat? Or something to take example of?

Humidity varies, but I try to keep it at 80%. I also hang bounty sheet on the side and sprinkle it with water to keep humidity.

Thank you

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No, sorry. I don't have any small Sulcata anymore, my Mary Knobbins is a rescue age unknown, weight 20 lbs. Your soil is perfect, it looks like orchid bark. But Tom will respond to you when he gets the time.

zweii

New York
No, sorry. I don't have any small Sulcata anymore, my Mary Knobbins is a rescue age unknown, weight 20 lbs. Your soil is perfect, it looks like orchid bark. But Tom will respond to you when he gets the time.

I wish we’ll get to that size too! I’ll browse the forum for some examples as well as wait for other replies.

thank you

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I wish we’ll get to that size too! I’ll browse the forum for some examples as well as wait for other replies.

thank you
Honestly, doing research to care for your tortoise is very important. I've kept Sulcata for 15 years. I've had them big and small. But the care for Sulcata has changed radically from what it was when I had small Sulcata. So I am not an expert, you'll get better replies then mine.
IMG_0301.JPG
My sister's Dudley, well over 100 lbs
100_5119.JPG
Big Sam
100_4127.JPG

Guts

Tennessee
80-82 F is fine for the ambient but these guys need a basking spot that gets up to 95-100, however in such a small tub I’m unsure if you could safely provide a basking spot that’s appropriate without making the entire thing to hot for your tort to thermoregulate.

Underground is also unfortunately notorious for selling sick and improperly started hatchlings, so it is possible that their failure to thrive is completely unrelated to your care.

zweii

New York
80-82 F is fine for the ambient but these guys need a basking spot that gets up to 95-100, however in such a small tub I’m unsure if you could safely provide a basking spot that’s appropriate without making the entire thing to hot for your tort to thermoregulate.

Underground is also unfortunately notorious for selling sick and improperly started hatchlings, so it is possible that their failure to thrive is completely unrelated to your care.

I can get a bigger tub, and I can control the temps, at least to some degree, as it’s all connected to the bunch of temperature and humidity controllers.

Yes, I had issues with sick tarantulas from UR, I don’t know if that’s another case.

But nevertheless, I am looking to make this little baby healthy and happy...!

Should I be looking for parasite tests...?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
Can I get better pics if the face and head the skin does look a bit yellow in the one pic

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
I don't think so, but please check the photos below.

Ceramic lamp that is set to 80F, Normal lamp that is set to 82F, for a few hours a week I place the UVB lamp (10.0 Reptisun).

Enclosure is about 60cm long and 40cm wide.

UndergroundReptiles! I don't really know how it was raised... .

Yessir

4t1Ul2M.png

kcJbCOX.png

MXV1gP7.png

vSGx7P3.png

5o3CKAc.png

4i49Zht.png
Can I get better pics if the face and head the skin does look a bit yellow in the one pic
if i'm correct.. there's a little yellow bump on the right side of the head (in the second picture)
could the skin be a bit stained, and it's not a yellow bump afterall?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i see that but as well as that on the top of the head over the left eye there is what looks like a possible yellow crusty spot sometimes these do not look like a lump but more of a yellow crusty spot instead.

ISU

South Korea
I have a slow growing leopard. I brought her in Feb this year, and it was about 60g at the time

She was treated with antibiotics for a long time for protozoa and bacteria

Since June, she has been growing very slowly but steadily. I'm doing exactly what I've learned here, and I think someday she'll grow up fast

She is 88g now

Attachments

• 20201124_071236.jpg
    20201124_071236.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 20201123_174028.jpg
    20201123_174028.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49