Sulcata will only poop in water dish

AprilMercedes

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi I have a 6 year old Sulcata named Lilly, it's really weird but it seems like she (for the most part) will only poop in her water dish. I have actually seen her a few times walk over to it, turn around and poop right in it and walk away. While I think it's great she seems to have almost potty trained herself I don't want her pooping where she drinks. She also seems to be getting dehydrated because she is pooping in there instead of drinking the water. Should I get a second dish for water or one for pooping? Maybe a different type of dish? Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi April, and welcome to the Forum!

I have a feeling that if you provided another waterer, the tortoise would use that one too. Why don't you see if you can beat her to the punch, so to speak, and set the tortoise in a tub of warm water every morning as soon as you turn on the lights. Maybe she'll poop there and leave her waterer clean the rest of the day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey, I have a leopard that has always pooped in his soaks. Now he poops in his water dish. I give one clay saucer for drinking and a larger plastic one, that he can fit in comfortably for pooping and at 4 years old, he drinks out of the one and poops in the other. Give a smaller dish for the drinking. It does make for a cleaner enclousre.

AprilMercedes

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hey, I have a leopard that has always pooped in his soaks. Now he poops in his water dish. I give one clay saucer for drinking and a larger plastic one, that he can fit in comfortably for pooping and at 4 years old, he drinks out of the one and poops in the other. Give a smaller dish for the drinking. It does make for a cleaner enclousre.

The one she has now is a clay one do you think she will stop going in it if I get her a larger one for pooping? or maybe a smaller one for drinking?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The one she has now is a clay one do you think she will stop going in it if I get her a larger one for pooping? or maybe a smaller one for drinking?

I think I would try a smaller one for drinking. She already chose the one she wants to poop in. Hope it works for you.