Sulcata visual health check for a nervous Gma

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Odin is now 17 months old and 395 grams. He was started dry and had some initial pyramiding and very slow growth in his first 6 months, but we found this place and overhauled everything we had been told by the seller.
With the fall in full swing here in MN, we moved him into his new, luxury 3 wing indoor enclosure with a very humid greenhouse, cactus garden and a mid temp and humidity section, and have all but stopped taking him outside. His diet hasn't changed aside from more frequent feedings of Mazuri to help keep the sulking down to a minimum with the habitat change. (you know how sullys can be :rolleyes:)
That said,with any change in his routine/diet/enclosure I have renewed worries about his health and growth. There is nothing specific that has me concerned aside from his shell seeming a bit duller / dusty looking, but I am hoping that is from his new-found ability to do some regular, deeper digging in his new enclosure thanks to deeper substrate, or a few recent applications of diatomaceous earth to the greenhouse for insects. (If I am wrong correct me so I can fix it!)
Anyway, how is he looking overall? Growth? Eyes? Beak? Anything else?
002.JPG 009.JPG 018.JPG

I had to give him a couple of chunks of Mazuri to get him to hold still for an overhead pic.037.JPG

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think he looks great. And lucky to have such good humans to provide for him :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, I don't see anything to worry about. I think he looks great. I would love to see a pic of his whole enclosure, it sounds great.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Thank you all! I know as he gets bigger I will worry a bit less, but with him being so young I just can't help it for now. I just can't shake the pictures that I have seen of really bad pyramiding and terribly sick and miserable torts. :(

I agree, I don't see anything to worry about. I think he looks great. I would love to see a pic of his whole enclosure, it sounds great.

The whole build with tons of photos is here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-mighty-odins-indoor-oasis-the-build.128248/
I'm pretty happy with it so far, and Odin is only normal-grumpy over the move, so I guess that's a win!