Sulcata UVB light requirements (CFL bulb)

yusufning

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
HI everyone,

I have a question, I have a compact fluorescent 26w UVB 10.0. What is the ideal height for Sulcata? Currently, it is set up at approximately 12inches (30cm) from the shell.

Kind regards :)

PurpleRain

Minnesota
I would like to know a bit more about distance when using the cfl type uvb bulbs on hatchlings as well.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
HI everyone,

I have a question, I have a compact fluorescent 26w UVB 10.0. What is the ideal height for Sulcata? Currently, it is set up at approximately 12inches (30cm) from the shell.

Kind regards :)
I will do some checking for you. If it is a bulb type light I wouldn't use it. Arcadia and reptisun sell a flouresnt tube UVB light. The bulb type can damage the eyes.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I would like to know a bit more about distance when using the cfl type uvb bulbs on hatchlings as well.
Definitely the CFL bulb is bad for their eyes. I was sold the same thing when I got Opo. After finding this forum I got on the right track from members here. Arcadia and reptisun sell the flouresnt tube type UVB.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I will do some checking for you. If it is a bulb type light I wouldn't use it. Arcadia and reptisun sell a flouresnt tube UVB light. The bulb type can damage the eyes.
Goggles your bulb the way I understand. Those bulbs concentrates the uvb and is hard on their eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The correct distance for that bulb is in the trash. CFL type bulbs are ineffective UV sources for tortoises and some of them are dangerous. They should not be used. If you need indoor UV, use a long tube type. The newer HO types produce the most UV and work the best. They also last a long time. We can guess the mounting height, but the only way to know it is mounted correctly is to use a UV meter under it.

In a warm tropical climate, you can simply sun the babies in a suitable outdoor enclosure for an hour a couple of times a week to meet their UV need. In a colder climate, you can use a calcium supplement with D3.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks Tom, I just googled CFL is a compact flouresnt lamp. Never knew the acronym. Better yet I probably knew that last month and forgot already. :(