Sulcata Transport - Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I live in Southern California - it never really gets too cold out here.

There's a place locally that does Turtle Racing Thursday nights and when Prof Chaos gets older I would like to take him.

http://www.brennanspub-la.com/racing.htm

(1) How do you transport your tortoise in your car? (If you do)

(2) What temperatures can it withstand without causing stress/problems etc...

Say I was to take it out on a summer night that is 60 degrees outside. What would I need to do?

Bonus Question - People with adult sulcatas - How the heck do you put your 100 plus pound tortoise in a kiddie pool to soak them (I'm a big guy, I could easily pick it up, but I'm sure there's a better way)? Also, where are you getting the warm water from?

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I don't know about taking your tortoise anywhere, it may stress them out. I employ the belly rest method. I grasp the sides of her shell with my finger tips wrapping a bit of the plastron. Her carapace is pushed into my belly. You walk like a pregnant lady but its not too bad.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
this is the easiest way I've found to carry, and I am a big guy (230+ 6'1")...

...and unless your Sulcatas has spent alot of time on tortoise race tracks, he will lose! He probably wont even leave the mark!

Adult Sulcatas are not as sencitive to temp variations and the younger ones are. They hold thier core temp pretty well.

and as for the hot water... i used to boil it on the stove in 2, 5gl pots. NOW I let the Sun do it in his pond!

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
What an amazing picture!! Is that walking rock? Or have I got myself confused lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should not be mixed, or share the same spaces after each other with out a quarantine period. It's not like dogs that are all domesticated and vaccinated. I would not put my tortoise in this sort of a risky situation. I would just rent one of the resident turtles if you wish to participate in the races and leave yours at home.

When you do transport him, I use plastic tubs that are close to their size. This way they don't slide around too much and when they unload (they almost always unload in the car) it will all be neatly contained, although your car will still never smell the same. For transporting hatchlings, I use a container with some substrate and a lid, and I keep the car around 80. For bigger ones, anything comfortable for you is fine for them on a quick car ride across town. If you are going cross country, then you'll have to make some other arrangements. So on your 60 egress summer night, simply run the heater in the car a bit to warm it up a little.

For my adults, (all under 100 pounds, by the way) I let the sun warm their water and simply lift them into their soaking tubs. If I have to soak them on a cool day I get hot water from the tap in five gallon buckets and mix it with the hose water to get it the right temp. Usually I just wait for a warmer sunny day. If one were to build a suitable tortoise pond with good traction and gently sloping sides, in theory you'd never need to soak an adult. Some people just run a hose in the yard and make a little flood, and most tortoises seem to really enjoy this. Mine do. Many people don't soak adults and just offer a clean accessible water source to them at all times. Personally, I do both. I only soak my adults once a month or so in the cooler months and once a week or so when temps are 100+ and super dry every day in our summers. Sometimes in the winter their water will go untouched for a week or more. In the summer, I usually have to rinse it out and refill it evey day.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Dang Zamric! That's a biggun!! I also agree about losing races. HAHA

Luckily I'm a pretty big guy too, but I was thinking - how do smaller guys and women pick these things up?!!? There has to be some creative things people are doing if they can't pick em up. Cable Winch Pulley system? Modified car jack? (of course there's the two person method too)

Very good point Tom and I agree.

I Laughed Out Loud with the part about your car never smelling the same. I can completely see that coming.

My little feller is pretty messy and takes MONSTER bowel movements (In comparison to his body size). When he gets bigger? Oh my gosh. Instant Turtle Funk.

I think I'll check the place out and rent one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 12" tortoises poop as much as my 140 pound great Dane.

With the really big sulcatas you either lure them around with some food, or you get multiple people to pick them up.

Maggie had Bob trained to climb into a cart that would tip down for him, then she could wheel him around.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Have took my little guy with me on vacation so i could keep an eye on him.
During the transportation period in the car, i had him in a small dark box so he feels safe at home in the hide.
I Also brang my squirt gun and some food ,some heat or cold packs help to bring just in case

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
I have a birdbath bowl in his tortoise yard that warms with the sun. Willie hates forced soaks but will gladly take a warm afternoon bath and of corse poop in it, so I have something else to clean, because our temps here in Florida being so hot, I will sit with the hose on mist in the afternoon and he will walk through it.. If its a yard day- I will put the sprinkler on near a dirt/ grass area and he usually picks a spot and sits in the rAin. Sometimes has spa time and flips mud over himself.. I've noticed that when its hot he will sit in our afternoon rain showers too.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Zamric said:
this is the easiest way I've found to carry, and I am a big guy (230+ 6'1")...

...and unless your Sulcatas has spent alot of time on tortoise race tracks, he will lose! He probably wont even leave the mark!

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb336/Zamric/?action=view&current=WalkingRockvid.mp4

Adult Sulcatas are not as sencitive to temp variations and the younger ones are. They hold thier core temp pretty well.

and as for the hot water... i used to boil it on the stove in 2, 5gl pots. NOW I let the Sun do it in his pond!

Great picture!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Thanks Blake, but it is accually a 5 sec Video as I was carrying him to that black truck in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.