Sulcata tortoise wont poop

Ana431

Location (City and/or State)
Round Rock
I've been reading alot about soaking my tortoise to get him going (pooping) but I'm scared to because two weeks ago my German shephard got to him and messed him up pretty good. We took him to the vet and they cleaned him up and gave him antibiotics. He also had to undergo surgery to get his front chest plate removed as it was decaying. The vet gave us an ointment to apply to his wounds but to keep him dry. It's been about 2 weeks since he pooped and I'm wondering if a 30 min soak in warm water would hurt him. He's been eating fine and very active. I give him freshly cut grass everyday along with romane lettuce occasionally. Is there something else i can give him? Of course if a vet visit is necessary then I will take him. I've had him since he was a hatchling. He's about 4 years old now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please post pics of the wounds.
A call to the vet may help to see if they approve of a soak.
If you do soak him make it a big container like your bath tub and let him move around in it a lot. That helps get things moving. Don't leave his side, making sure he is doing good and that the dog doesn't get him again.

Ana431

Round Rock
Well, I guess ignore my other post.
Glad he pooped.
Another way to get them to poop is a car ride. They almost always poop in the car.
Please post pics of the wounds.
A call to the vet may help to see if they approve of a soak.
If you do soak him make it a big container like your bath tub and let him move around in it a lot. That helps get things moving. Don't leave his side, making sure he is doing good and that the dog doesn't get him again.
Thank you for your feedback. Even though he pooped (thank goodness, I was getting real worried) Im going to take your advice and call the vet to see if I can soak him. I dont want him to get dehydrated.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You can also feed him aloe, cucumber, watermelon, spineless opuntia...wet foods that he normally shouldn't have, but they will help to keep things moving.

Reactions: ISU