Sulcata tortoise newbie here. Need some advice

craig655321

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hello Craig, your Sulcata is lovely. What is he called? I wondered if your reference to Lidl meant you might be based in the UK? I'm in the UK too (Plymouth) and just joined this site. The people on here have been giving me great advice about my tortoise, helping me make sure he's warm enough. I have a Sulcata too, he lives outside as he's an adult.
Good luck with getting yours to eat well.
Hi thank you so much! His name George lol. No I live in the states (New Jersey) and we have so many Aldis here. Everything is organic which is great

Emmawilly

Plymouth
Hi thank you so much! His name George lol. No I live in the states (New Jersey) and we have so many Aldis here. Everything is organic which is great
Ah sorry my mistake! And yes you said Aldi, not Lidl. Lovely name George (same name as my son). Good luck with him, they grow into bruisers!

craig655321

New Jersey
Did he eat today?
Not that I have seen, but he is active this morning. He was doing some digging. I went out side my house and discovered about 10 feet of natural peat moss due to all this rain we are having. Pulled some up, cleaned it and added some patches to his terrarium. Going to soak him for about 30 minutes now.

Attachments

• F8E4340B-C6C9-4359-8CEA-6DB78F90351D.jpeg
    F8E4340B-C6C9-4359-8CEA-6DB78F90351D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

craig655321

New Jersey
I am happy to report that he finally started eating..........like a MACHINE! I’m so happy I was so worried!

Attachments

• 773B55AD-E0BB-48B5-AF7F-2E18B18C83E9.jpeg
    773B55AD-E0BB-48B5-AF7F-2E18B18C83E9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Don’t get upset when you hear something that you don’t want to hear. New tortoise can be overwhelming at times. Since you in NJ I would recommend visiting some Latin store and checking if they have some cactus - tortoise goes crazy for it. I would recommend getting some Mazuri me dandelions- if possible. You can get some Romain lettuce and make a salad from all the ingredients. Tortoise first will pick what they like so chop it well.
Made a mistake of giving my Herbie some Romain - took a week to be like no dude we don’t eat that and he is back on 100% no store stuff (except
Mazuri).
Everyone here is to help raise a healthy and happy tortoise.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
So happy! I see you have your grass and hay in a bowl dry? Let me give you a tip that works great for many. Soak your hay and grass for about 15 minutes in water. Then mince it up really small. Also mince up a tiny bit of greens he likes. Dandelion works good or romaine. Mix everything together into a moist pile. You can also sprinkle the calcium on top twice a week. I feed mine a pile twice a day and then let him graze on the dry stuff on his own?

Attachments

• AA756117-3089-43C1-B9C1-4FCD1CA85B82.jpeg
    AA756117-3089-43C1-B9C1-4FCD1CA85B82.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6