Sulcata tortoise changing up his routine..

Hendrixthetort

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto, CA
Hi all, I have a 3 mo old sulcata and we live in NorCal. I have a few concerns and was wondering of I could get yalls opinion. I will copy/paste the info I have to someone else.

Yea we have had him about 9 weeks and the last 5 weeks or so weve gotten into a routine where I wake up and turn his heat lamp on and get ready and when I come back after like 15 mins hes pretty woken up and ready to eat. So i was taking hm outside every other day and doing soaks every other day and he seemed to be totally fine. But when I started daily soaks all of a sudden he acted weird. Last wednesday after I turned his lamp on, I came back like half hr later and he didnt come out of his cave like normal so i took him out to check on him and he wasnt lethargic neccesarily but hes just less active. So from last wed to fri he was being like that. Eating less and less active but all of a sudden friday to Sunday he was back to normal active and eating once in the morning and again in the afternoon. But monday and today hes back to kinda moping around and eating less.

Any ideas what the problem can be?

Humidity is about 40% under his lamp. I kno that's low but I cant get it any higher even with a mister.

Thanks in advance!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your three month old sulcata should be living in a closed enclosure. That's the only way to be able to keep up the humidity. Also, be sure he's warm enough. They don't eat if they're not warm enough. I keep all my babies 80-85F degrees all over the whole enclosure. It drops a bit at night, but never below about 78F.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA