Sulcata tortoise adoption experience

Vchyman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New york
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with adopters who have kept in contact with the previous owner over the years? Just for small updates? I am looking into possibly putting my boy up for adoption but I'm having some attachment issues (I know, I know) and I worry about him. Can anyone lend some personal experience? Did your sulcata's adoption turn out okay? Do you get updates?

I appreciate any stories or tips!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I’m not sure if this is helpful.
I’ve been rescuing Russian Tortoises for about a year or two now, and I make sure the past families have my phone number for the purpose of sending update pictures. So far two families request pictures of them once in a while and I have no problem sending them pictures of the tortoises.

If possible maybe find an adoptee that is a current or past tortoise owner who you can trust with the request of updates.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello, I’m on the other side of your scenario. Though not a Sulcata, I adopted a leopard tortoise from a lovely young lady who needed to re-home. She had been trying to find someone she could trust and feel comfortable giving her too. Originally, I had not been looking to get a leopard at the time, but after several interchanges, I’m flattered that she really wanted me to take her. When we met, she did ask if I could give her updates every now and then to know the tortoise was ok. It was hard for her to rehome her. I personally didn’t have a problem doing that, and have kept in touch, sending pictures here and there. I think it will depend on who you choose your tortoise to go with. I’ve gotten to know the young lady my tortoise came from, so it’s like sending info to a friend, but for someone else it may make it hard to feel the tortoise now belongs to them. It just depends. Hope this was helpful.

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
I’m not sure if this is helpful.
I’ve been rescuing Russian Tortoises for about a year or two now, and I make sure the past families have my phone number for the purpose of sending update pictures. So far two families request pictures of them once in a while and I have no problem sending them pictures of the tortoises.

If possible maybe find an adoptee that is a current or past tortoise owner who you can trust with the request of updates.

That's great. They must be so happy to see those pictures. I hope I can find an adopter like you. It would bring me a lot of comfort.

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
Hello, I’m on the other side of your scenario. Though not a Sulcata, I adopted a leopard tortoise from a lovely young lady who needed to re-home. She had been trying to find someone she could trust and feel comfortable giving her too. Originally, I had not been looking to get a leopard at the time, but after several interchanges, I’m flattered that she really wanted me to take her. When we met, she did ask if I could give her updates every now and then to know the tortoise was ok. It was hard for her to rehome her. I personally didn’t have a problem doing that, and have kept in touch, sending pictures here and there. I think it will depend on who you choose your tortoise to go with. I’ve gotten to know the young lady my tortoise came from, so it’s like sending info to a friend, but for someone else it may make it hard to feel the tortoise now belongs to them. It just depends. Hope this was helpful.
That's really nice. I can appreciate that you formed a friendship which can also make it not seem like an annoyance to send photos/updates. I really don't want to burden or annoy the adopter..and forming a friendship would be a nice bonus! It'll be tough to find someone like that I'm sure. I am thinking it may take me a long time to find him a home.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
you can also ask some rescues in your area if they have a waiting list we do that with people here. and the people are all pre checked (at least we do this) and we make sure they have EVERYTHING they possibly will need with the new person. sometimes you can even meet the person along with the rescue.

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
you can also ask some rescues in your area if they have a waiting list we do that with people here. and the people are all pre checked (at least we do this) and we make sure they have EVERYTHING they possibly will need with the new person. sometimes you can even meet the person along with the rescue.
Great idea. Thank you!

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
hope it helps! wish you were closer we have a wonderful lady waiting right now for one. we would def try to set you up with

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
Thanks! And that's too bad. Being in New York is definitely not helping my situation lol

Trung6126

San Antonio Texas
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with adopters who have kept in contact with the previous owner over the years? Just for small updates? I am looking into possibly putting my boy up for adoption but I'm having some attachment issues (I know, I know) and I worry about him. Can anyone lend some personal experience? Did your sulcata's adoption turn out okay? Do you get updates?

I appreciate any stories or tips!
Still available for adoption pl