Sulcata Tort - Heating Question - Hatchling Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I would first like to say that this forum is great. Looks like a lot of active members and great information.

SO - I'm sure I may ask a few things that have been answered over and over again to people on the forum - BUT - I am doing it for the benefit of my turtle so that he receives the best care possible - AND It's important for me to discuss things in this case because with all the conflicting information out there on the internet, one question may lead to another, etc... Everyone seems very friendly, I just want to throw that out there to let you know I respect members opinions and appreciate people taking their time to answer my questions - even when it may be something that they have said a million times.

(1) I have a baby right now but I am a bit concerned about something in the future. When I move the tortoise outdoors and set him up with his turtle condo - He is going to need a heating element. I worry about potential fire hazards running form a heat lamp, and also I've heard that torts can burn themselves on a malfunctioning "heat pad". How do you get your outdoor tort heat while keeping fire safety into consideration.

(2) I use coco fiber as a substrate. Would you recommend that I use spray bottle to lightly moisten it every day or so? Hide Box only? I'm looking for the right way to keep it properly humid.

(3) Why is there so much conflicting information on keeping a water dish in a sulcata's tank?

(4) Why is there so much conflicting information on Sulcata care on the internet?

And here's a action shot of professor chaos. BECAUSE WE'RE ALL HERE TO LOOK AT CUTE TORTOISE PICTURES. AMIRITE? AMIRITE???? :D

547094_440110312667772_100000064224526_1583195_1543449246_n.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. First, all the conflicting info is because that is how it used to be. Some of us, because of the members of this forum, have learned there is a better new way. Some just won't conform to the better way or haven't found this forum yet. Second, the heating and fire. The best advice I have gotten is from Tom and a few others. Use a infrared heater, can't burn tortoises and put it on a thermostat, can't over heat or under heat. As far as humidity, I use coconut coir. Holds humidity the best, and won't mold. I use a humidifier and most of the substrate is kept moist. I have a dry hide. Check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They are all good reads for Sulcata's.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Biff Malibu said:
(3) Why is there so much conflicting information on keeping a water dish in a sulcata's tank?

(4) Why is there so much conflicting information on Sulcata care on the internet?

I'll answer these first. Generally speaking, the reason there is conflicting information about well, anything, on the internet is because everyone has an opinion and there is really no accountability for information quality. Anyone can create a website these days, and copy-paste/regurgitate info that isn't theirs, and make a very "official" looking site that has very horrible information on it.

Another side of it is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. What works for some doesn't work for others. People in the southern states are able to keep their tortoises outdoors for most of the year, while the northerners cannot. Others have great success with cypress, while others have better success with coconut coir, for any number of reasons. A lot of it has to do with what works best for YOUR tortoise in YOUR specific situation.

The key is acquiring a lot of information and sifting through the rubbish. Take into account the source. Someone who actually has been keeping or breeding sulcatas probably has a little more knowledge on how to keep them alive then the teenager working at the local pet store. A lot of us are still learning, but there are some general husbandry tips and tricks that have proven tried and true over the past few years.

(1) I have a baby right now but I am a bit concerned about something in the future. When I move the tortoise outdoors and set him up with his turtle condo - He is going to need a heating element. I worry about potential fire hazards running form a heat lamp, and also I've heard that torts can burn themselves on a malfunctioning "heat pad". How do you get your outdoor tort heat while keeping fire safety into consideration.

Before tackling this question, where abouts do you live?

(2) I use coco fiber as a substrate. Would you recommend that I use spray bottle to lightly moisten it every day or so? Hide Box only? I'm looking for the right way to keep it properly humid.

In general, spraying the substrate does not increase humidity much. Think about it: to increase humidity in your home, is that what you would do? No. You turn on a humidifier. I decided to install heat rope underneath the substrate in my enclosure. That way, I can pour water down into it, and it will always keep the bedding warm and substrate. Without this, simply spraying/misting it with water would be futile during the day because the heat lamp(s) would quickly dry it all out, and doing so at night would create a COLD damp substrate, which is bad and would lead to respiratory issues.

Whatever enclosure/habitat you're using, do what you can to close up that top! So much heat and humidity gets lost out the top of reptile habitats, especially glass tanks.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I live in Southern California (Los Angeles)

* Also - Would using a heat rope eliminate the need for a heat lamp?

Use UVA/UVB light during the day, use heat rope at night? or would this just be for humidity? What wattage would I want to get for a heat rope (Or what temperature am I aiming for here?)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome.
Most of the caresheets and info on the web is outdated and the old methods.
Now raising babies in humid conditions helps with smooth shell and great health.
With the coco fiber you want to spray it with water couple times daily, while you have your heat lights on and its hot.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Biff Malibu said:
I live in Southern California (Los Angeles)

* Also - Would using a heat rope eliminate the need for a heat lamp?

Use UVA/UVB light during the day, use heat rope at night? or would this just be for humidity? What wattage would I want to get for a heat rope (Or what temperature am I aiming for here?)

The heat rope would mainly help with humidity. See the following threads for ideas on how to install it.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-130-gal-Closed-Top-Tank-Progression-Thread#axzz1wNLCul00

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ure-via-Heat-ropes-Lots-of-pics#axzz1us6f70vN

You would still need to provide a basking lamp for heat and a temperature gradient. Now....a lot of keepers claim that if the tortoise is given regular access to natural sunlight during the week (even as little as 20-30 minutes every few days), there is no need for a UVB light.

Absolutely LOVIN' the avatar, by the way! "I like turtles!" LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.