Sulcata temperatures; what can they tolerate?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Hey guys, I got this in my email from LLL this morning.

Our baby sulcattas are housed in groups in large vision cages, typically on bark bedding. We rotate them for time outdoors in the natural sunlight and back inside under UVB and basking heat. We feed them a variety of fresh greens. Their enclosure is sprayed down daily so it stays relatively humid. (Please note that larger juveniles do not require the high level of humidity that babies do).

Sounds exactly how Tom raises his babies, humid while they're young and slowly decreasing it as they get older. What do you think? Should I just go ahead and order from them?

It's still the same thing that was being discussed before...LLL does a good job but they dont breed directly so you never know what kind of care they had *before* LLL got them

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You still do not know how they were cared for at the breeders before they got them. I am telling you from experience, do not risk it.

Smile

5 Year Member
Anyone here use terra cotta saucers for their hatchling's water bowl? If so, where do you get them from? Not sure if they have them there, but I'm gonna check my local 99 cents store on Monday to see if they have them.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Anyone here use terra cotta saucers for their hatchling's water bowl? If so, where do you get them from? Not sure if they have them there, but I'm gonna check my local 99 cents store on Monday to see if they have them.
Just check gardening centers, they are the ones used under the terra cotta gardening pots :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just about everyone on here does .

Smile

5 Year Member
Any replacements I can use if I can't find them? I'll most likely be getting my baby from Lance within two weeks, I'm so excited! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I get most of my tortoise supplies from hardware stores. Terra cotta plant saucers, thermometers, light fixtures, etc...

Smile

5 Year Member
Are outside rocks safe to use as a basking rock? The rock will be washed with hot water a few times a day before placing it inside the enclosure of course.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sure. I do that all the time. I usually just scrub, rinse and soak it in plain hot water then let it bake in the sun for a day or two. No soap or anything. You can also bleach it if you run nervous about these things. Just rinse well afterward, soak and sun dry to remove the remaining bleach traces.

Smile

5 Year Member
Sure. I do that all the time. I usually just scrub, rinse and soak it in plain hot water then let it bake in the sun for a day or two. No soap or anything. You can also bleach it if you run nervous about these things. Just rinse well afterward, soak and sun dry to remove the remaining bleach traces.
Thanks Tom. I can't decide if I want to place his log hide at the middle of his enclosure so he can use it as a hide and bask on top of it when he wants to (I plan on putting the MVB bulb in the middle), or if I should put the log in a corner and use a basking rock in the middle so he can just go to his hide and use it for a cool shelter when he wants to sleep... what do you think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Put your basking spot to one side. Your tortoise will need a thermal gradient which means one end is warmer than the other. They do not generate their own heat as mammals and birds do, so they ned to move to warmer areas to warm u or cooler areas to cool down. This is how they control their body temperature. Putting the warm zone in the middle heats up the whole enclosure.

I wouldn't use a log hide. They are too open and climbing them often results in a flipped tortoise. Use a plastic tub of some sort, so your tortoise can benefit from a humid hide.

Smile

5 Year Member
I'm sooo excited guys! Just paid for my tortoise and Lance and I agreed to wait until my supplies from LLLReptile arrive before he ships him out. I have to do tons of reading and video watching in the mean time. :)

Smile

5 Year Member
Are there any sulcata books you guys recommend? I'm looking to buy one or a few in about a weeks time.

Liz27

I bought 2 Leopard hatchlings online and one of them died slowly after a couple months of seeming fine. It was absolutely horrible watching her get sicker and sicker. Nothing I did helped her. I will never buy from anyone other than a breeder directly again, so I can ensure they were started correctly. Not only is it a waste of money, it was devastating and very time consuming trying everything I could to try to save her. Please learn from my mistake n don't put yourself through that.
We also lost our amazing sulcata big guy Jerome who was severely pyramided and while at first, I felt so guilty for not knowing how to take care of him well when we had him and feeling like it was our fault completely. I have learned a lot since receiving our new hatchling and read all the removed reviews about our local LLL and there are sooo many sad stories identical to ours. Really really sad and I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it either. He was an adult vs a hatchling but I am so paranoid w this little guy about keeping him alive and healthy. It's like having a new baby!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Are there any sulcata books you guys recommend? I'm looking to buy one or a few in about a weeks time.
I would not recommend any sulcata books. Truth is, by the time a book is published, it is often out of date and better information can be had here on the forum. Several times people have told me "But... I read in a book that..." and it was totally wrong.

M

Maggie Cummings

An adult isn't an option for me, sorry. Why would it need night time heat if it stays perfect temperature for it at night in my living room? Doesn't make sense to me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
if you are getting a hatchling... you need nighttime heat.. babies are way different then a adult. They tolerate different things..
How about a rescue that is older and you can build an outdoor area for it and bypass the fragile 'baby' stage?
Curious about adopting. I know some complain about breeding Sulcatas because once they get too big people dispose of them due to the inconvenience, or turn them in to rescues that are supposedly "over run"!
I have searched for adoption options. I can't find any. And I am one who has a great environment, and huge yard with several large pens, many currently not in use. Also quite capable of paying any fees and providing exceptional care.
I have 2 adults at the moment. I'd love to "skip the baby stage", been there, done that. Not that there's anything wrong it, I just love the ease and beauty of an adult.
I'd love to adopt a big one. But where? How?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Curious about adopting. I know some complain about breeding Sulcatas because once they get too big people dispose of them due to the inconvenience, or turn them in to rescues that are supposedly "over run"!
I have searched for adoption options. I can't find any. And I am one who has a great environment, and huge yard with several large pens, many currently not in use. Also quite capable of paying any fees and providing exceptional care.
I have 2 adults at the moment. I'd love to "skip the baby stage", been there, done that. Not that there's anything wrong it, I just love the ease and beauty of an adult.
I'd love to adopt a big one. But where? How?
Check out northwesttortoise.org I believe there are a few large sulcatas up for adoption. The woman's name is Terese. I believe she may be a member on here.

Mary <3

Agree no tortoise books! Seems like everything I read outside of this forum is wrong. You will not find a more dedicated, current, focused, intense, loving group of researchers than right here. There is enough material in this forum on every topic you need.

Smile

5 Year Member
Whoops, I see people are still posting on this outdated thread! :D

Unfortunately, I did indeed end up getting the tortoise with everything required to house him comfortably till he got bigger, but he was either ill when I got him (didn't show any signs, the breeder and I were very confused as to why he didn't eat much since the day I got him) or something else was wrong with him but yeah, he never really ate much and ended up passing away in two months of me owning him. That was almost two years ago though so I think I'm gonna go ahead and give it another try at raising a baby sulcata this summer! I would need to buy a new MVB for it though (the one my old sulcata had is older than 6 months old now, so it isn't useful anymore, is it?) and find a new breeder if there are any.