Sulcata scute lifted up

Khai

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Please tell me what happend with my sulcata. One of the scute partially lifted up, and it has some white line or dots between this scute.
The size of the sulcata is 12 cm.
Thank you

20201009_053707.jpg20201009_053700.jpg20201009_053707.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
please take pictures of their enclosure and share - how close is their heat lamp to the tortoises shell?

Khai

Jakarta
please take pictures of their enclosure and share - how close is their heat lamp to the tortoises shell?
I put the sulcata in a box 30cm x 50cm. The distance between heat lamp and the tortoise is about 30 cm

16022004685648693984936122652291.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is not a good way to house any tortoise. That would make a nice soaking tub, but its not a place for a tortoise to live.

What type and wattage bulb is in there and what is the temperature under it?

Please give this a read:

Reactions: Ink

zovick

10 Year Member!
I don't know, but we'll ask @zovick
Bill, what could this be?
Not quite certain of this one. It may be that the keratin layer is curling upward due to she shell being excessively dry. Another possibility could be that some bacteria has undermined the scute in the seam area and caused an infection which has caused the scute to lift away from the bone. It is hard to tell if there is any infection from the posted photos, however.

Khai

Jakarta
That is not a good way to house any tortoise. That would make a nice soaking tub, but its not a place for a tortoise to live.

What type and wattage bulb is in there and what is the temperature under it?

Please give this a read:
I use UVA light, its 25 watt, the temperature is about 29 C - 32 C (85 F - 90 F)

Khai

Jakarta
That’s how the tortoise always lives or that’s just temporary enclosure for when it’s sick?
It's a place they lives for the past 6 month since I adopt that tortoise. I've been thinking to change the enclosure to a bigger place because they are growing so fast. 6 months ago their size is 6cm, and now 12cm.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
It's a place they lives for the past 6 month since I adopt that tortoise. I've been thinking to change the enclosure to a bigger place because they are growing so fast. 6 months ago their size is 6cm, and now 12cm.

That’s so sad! I feel really bad for the tort to live in there.
Not trying to be mean to you, but that is not an acceptable enclosure for a captive tortoise. It needs Proper substrate, places to hide, humidity, and more space to move around.
Please follow that care sheet linked previously, for a happy heathy tort.

Khai

Jakarta
That’s so sad! I feel really bad for the tort to live in there.
Not trying to be mean to you, but that is not an acceptable enclosure for a captive tortoise. It needs Proper substrate, places to hide, humidity, and more space to move around.
Please follow that care sheet linked previously, for a happy heathy tort.
Thank you for the advice

Khai

Jakarta
Not quite certain of this one. It may be that the keratin layer is curling upward due to she shell being excessively dry. Another possibility could be that some bacteria has undermined the scute in the seam area and caused an infection which has caused the scute to lift away from the bone. It is hard to tell if there is any infection from the posted photos, however.
Is there anything i can do to fix that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can read that care sheet and make some major changes to this tortoise's housing.

My guess would be that this is being caused by the light and the tortoises inability to get away from it. If you put a digital thermometer directly under the light and let it cook for a couple of hours, what does the temp get up to?

You tortoise needs a large enclosure with substrate, lighting, a water dish, a hide or two, and some decorations.

Khai

Jakarta
You can read that care sheet and make some major changes to this tortoise's housing.

My guess would be that this is being caused by the light and the tortoises inability to get away from it. If you put a digital thermometer directly under the light and let it cook for a couple of hours, what does the temp get up to?

You tortoise needs a large enclosure with substrate, lighting, a water dish, a hide or two, and some decorations.
Thanks for the advice, I will make the enclosure more comfortable for the tortoise.
But, can I do something for that partially lifted scute? Can the scute close again?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It looks broken off to me

zovick

10 Year Member!
It looks broken off to me
If you look closely at the scute borders, they appear to be smooth and normal. None of the edges look broken to my eye. It appears more to me that the edges have been forced apart and upward by some force originating underneath them.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Soak the tortoise in lukewarm water daily for 20-30 minutes to keep it well hydrated. You might try putting a bit of mineral oil on the area between the scutes which are raised up with a cotton swab after the soak to keep it from drying out during the day also.