Sulcata Questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychedChicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Carrabelle, Fl
Hello Tortoise People! :tort:

I had a sulcatta years ago. He was a happy healthy little guy too. We bought him as a hatchling and were raising him up, had him for a couple (almost 3) years. He had a nice outside enclosure to road around in, however a neighborhood dog found its way in and killed the poor little guy.:(

My husband and I have wanted another ever sense. Now we are living on 40acres out in the middle of nowhere (our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away). We have been putting a lot of consideration into it and decided to get another Sulcata (2 actually). However we are not wanting to go the petstore route, due to the fact that there are so many big guys out there who do not have homes, and we are some of the few with room to house them comfortably.
I have done endless research and we've mostly built their outdoor enclosure. The two guys we are wanting to get are both around 70lbs and have been together most of their lives.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do it hide box. My husband is willing to do some building.... We live in North Florida, so the cold will only be an issue for a couple months of the year. However I want to make sure they are as comfortable as possible.

Does it need to be elevated?
Can it be a dirt floor with substrate on top? (hay)
What is the best way in insulate a plywood box?
How big does it need to be for two tortoises of that size?
Is there a recommended height?

We are planning to make the top hinge up for easy cleaning. But any tips or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated.
They are going to have a large enclosed yard to roam around when we arent home, and will be allowed out of that enclosure when were outside to watch them. We spend a LOT of time outside. We have no internet/cable and their is nothing to do in our little town.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome and it is cool that you have found two males that have done well with each other....I don't keep Sullies but have read tons and I just adore that tortoise...there are some great pointers here. I would wonder if you can mimic their living arrangements now from the people who care for them presently? If they are 70 and are healthy then the people must have a system that works?

Anyways, happy reading and I am certain you will get lots of advise directly from folks who care for these biggens :D

PsychedChicken

5 Year Member
Carrabelle, Fl
They are currently in an animal shelter. :-( I think they just got dumped there. Probably someone who just ran out of space, or had to move if I had to guess.

Thanks for the fast response!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay now that is very awesome that you are going to swoop em up...way cool...have you already made contact with the shelter? These guys are pretty popular....although I have heard that when they get tooo big is when they find their way dumped like this...at least who ever did the drop off did not just leave them to their own means...huh?

I wish you lots of luck and FUN with them :tort: .....

PsychedChicken

5 Year Member
Carrabelle, Fl
We've contacted the shelter and are waiting on the response. They've been their a couple of months. And the shelter doesnt seem to want to seperate them. Either way, I'm getting me some sulcattas!! lol I figure if I set up an enclosure for two big guys, I wont have trouble if I end up with some a little smaller.

Rather go too big then too little. :)

Oh and Thanks!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Yes better to go too big than to small. Hope you hear something from the shelter soon..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi PsychedChicken:

You want the "footprint" of your shed to be big enough that the boys don't interfere with each other. They will each want their own space in the shed. My two 140lb aldabrans share a floor space of 8'x10' and sometimes if one stops in the doorway, the other is stuck either out or in and can't get by. At night they each park nose into a corner with lots of space between them so they don't have to touch.

PsychedChicken

5 Year Member
Carrabelle, Fl
Thanks everyone!!

emysemys said:
Hi PsychedChicken:

You want the "footprint" of your shed to be big enough that the boys don't interfere with each other. They will each want their own space in the shed. My two 140lb aldabrans share a floor space of 8'x8' and sometimes if one stops in the doorway, the other is stuck either out or in and can't get by. At night they each park nose into a corner with lots of space between them so they don't have to touch.

^^ Do you have any pics of your enclosure? ^^

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first thing I want you to know is that pairs of sulcatas of any sex seldom work out. I bet they were housed separately wherever they came from. Due to the stress, tight confines, improper temps, and other factors, they might be tolerating each other in the dog pound, but once you set them up right and they start feeling good again, watch out for aggression or subtle signs of one dominating the other. Signs such as one hides all the time and seems to be very shy, while the other is very outgoing.

I would house them separately just to be safe. I know a lot of adult sulcatas that have been killed by other adult sulcatas.

Here's how I built my newest enclosure:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1Rzggx3rI

Do you know the sexes on these two? Bless you for rescuing to big ones that need a home. I think that is a fantastic thing for you to do.

Oh, one other tip about where you put the sleeping box. Sometimes sulcatas just have a different idea about where their shelter should sit than we do. Once they are in their enclosures, just watch where they end up at dusk every night. They usually pick the same spot and then you have to carry them over to their box in an effort to "train" them. Life will be much easier if you just put the box wherever it is THEY want to be at night.

Good luck and I wish you many happy years with them! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
PsychedChicken said:
Thanks everyone!!

^^ Do you have any pics of your enclosure? ^^

7-13-11aldabran-1.jpg

This is the outside of the Aldabran pen looking from my driveway

7-13-11Aldabran-2.jpg

Inside the pen looking towards the west. The fence is just there as a visual barrier. Its open on the left end.

7-13-11aldabran-3.jpg

The outside of their shed. Because its in my front yard, I decorated it with lattice to dress it up a bit.

7-13-11aldabran-4.jpg

Inside the shed.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I use rubber stall matts as the floor, my box is 4x8 and the boys pick thier corners. My two lived together wehre they came from, so they tolerate each other now HOWEVER, they do have moments. .and I have to watch that.. thier area is 60x100 with lots of tall grass, so they can have thier own space outside.. for winter heat, i have a stanfield matt and a Ceramic heater in the other corner. the box is about 2 feet tall with a removable top for cleaning. we also insulated it with aluminum sided styrofoam. about 1 1/2 inches thick.
Rescues are the way to go!! lots of them in need and you dont get a fragile hatchling.
Sounds like you have plenty of room to seperate if you have too.
my heat box sit under the awning of the barn, so it protected and dry if they want to come out in winter. look at Tuff shed loafing sheds.. i think they are perfect type design.

Status
Not open for further replies.