Sulcata questions for Tom

RoboRob

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Tom,

How are you? I am new to this whole tortoise thing...lol. Just purchased a baby sulcata for my 10 year old. I have been reading all of these threads trying to learn as much as possible. Right now I am reading up on the "For those who have a young sulcata" that you started back in Aug of 2007 and the long one titled "The end of pyramiding" that you started May 2010. Everyone seems to know you as the fountain of knowledge here. ;) I am really trying to find out the best substrate to use. I purchased the ZooMed Kit that came with cypress mulch. He has been in that for a week....just got him last weekend. Is it best to switch over to this orchid bark and if so do I mix it with anything or go straight orchid bark? How deep to you go with it? I have a 40 gal tank right now with a screen top. I can't seem to keep the humidity above 50 unless I spray down all of the cypress mulch and his log....even then it doesn't stay there very long. I am keeping the temp at a constant 85 degrees and spraying him down often. We were told to soak him at least once a week, but he seems to love laying in his water container so i haven't done that. Would it be a good idea to just put him in a container of water for a solid 15 min daily or do you think as long as he loves being in his water would be good enough? I look forward to learning more about this. Keep the great information coming.

Rob

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm not Tom, but I can tell you that all of your questions have been answered in this forum. You can't keep the humidity up with a screen top. You need a covered container. A 40 gallon tank will soon be too small for your sulcata. You should plan on making an enclosure that is 4 feet by 8 feet. There should be temperature gradients in the enclosure, warmer and cooler spots and you can't achieve that in a small tank. You should soak your baby once a day in warm water.

Tom usually recommends orchid bark because it is less messy than coir. It should be several inches deep so your tortoise can dig. You should wet the substrate completely and mix it up with your hands. When you have a solid, not screen top, on your enclosure, this method will keep the humidity in.

RoboRob

San Diego, CA
Thanks Big Charlie. Sounds like I am going to have to figure out how to put a top on it and still have the light bar inside.

RoboRob

San Diego, CA
I covered mine with aluminum foil.
Thanks. Funny enough I just read another thread today wheree you mentioned that is what you did. I need to get the little guy moving again. He was when we brought him home but has been sleeping a lot lately. He just recently started sleeping in corners but still not in his hide. He used to sleep in the open. He hasnt gained any weigh since we bought him a month ago. We just started the carrot baby food soaks 3 or 4 days ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom,

How are you? I am new to this whole tortoise thing...lol. Just purchased a baby sulcata for my 10 year old. I have been reading all of these threads trying to learn as much as possible. Right now I am reading up on the "For those who have a young sulcata" that you started back in Aug of 2007 and the long one titled "The end of pyramiding" that you started May 2010. Everyone seems to know you as the fountain of knowledge here. ;) I am really trying to find out the best substrate to use. I purchased the ZooMed Kit that came with cypress mulch. He has been in that for a week....just got him last weekend. Is it best to switch over to this orchid bark and if so do I mix it with anything or go straight orchid bark? How deep to you go with it? I have a 40 gal tank right now with a screen top. I can't seem to keep the humidity above 50 unless I spray down all of the cypress mulch and his log....even then it doesn't stay there very long. I am keeping the temp at a constant 85 degrees and spraying him down often. We were told to soak him at least once a week, but he seems to love laying in his water container so i haven't done that. Would it be a good idea to just put him in a container of water for a solid 15 min daily or do you think as long as he loves being in his water would be good enough? I look forward to learning more about this. Keep the great information coming.

Rob
Hello Rob. I'm just a guy that has raised a few sulcata and talks a lot on the tortoise forum.

Fine grade orchid bark works the best, but if you've already got cypress mulch in there and you like it, no need to change it. I like a 3-4" layer and I keep it damp. I buy it in bulk at a local nursery up here in Santa Clarita.
Orchid Bark.JPG

As Big Charlie (Its really Big Charlie's Mom...) explained, you'll never maintain the right conditions with an open topped enclosure. There have been several threads here lately showing different places to buy them. Its really theist way to go, by far.

Your baby needs to be soaked in warm water for 30-40 minutes every day. Time he chooses to spend in the water dish is bonus time.

It looks like a red bulb in your avatar pic. Those are no good for tortoises. That might be the main source of your problem.

Here is all the sulcata info in one place for convenience:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Questions and conversation are welcome. Hope this all helps. :)