Sulcata Possible Abscess

krysw03

Location (City and/or State)
north carolina
Hi!
so this is my baby Nigel.
He got an eye infection about a month ago because we switched substrate. I got eye drops and increased soaks and it went away. He was swollen but i assumed it was from the eye infection itself. Swelling hasn’t gone down. It looks like an abscess or type of infection. The lump has seemed to stop growing and now it seems as if the skin is drying, the top lump seems yellow ish almost, however there is a side piece that does look like a typical abscess. I searched the forums and haven’t been able to find much. So i thought I’d post here to see if anyone has ideas and I’ll update for future searches as well.
-substrate was switched from top soil/coconut coir to mulch. I believe the mulch is what made him have an eye infection. We very quickly changed his substrate back.
-he gets soaks daily for 30minutes- an hour.
-basking temp stays from 90-95
-humidity stays anywhere from 60-80
-he has a strip and a bulb uva/uvb
-he eats a mix of grass,Timothy hay, turnip greens or mustard greens whichever we get, with cucumbers mixed in (he loves cucumbers and it helps him eat it all)
-urate have been normal but i personally haven’t seen one in about a week or two. I’m not sure if he’s backed up or if he’s just hydrated because of the increase in soaks.
-poops are pretty normal. They are solid poops
-he’s not too lethargic, still likes to sleep a lot but still gets up to roam and eat.
-we got him at about 2 months old, so he’s now a little over 6 months, he is 68 grams.

the first three pictures are on Thursday. I had called a vet clinic who told me to bring him in Friday to be seen and because of covid you call and they take your pet back. The vet didn’t even come out and just told the receptionist “take him to another vet in *city 2 hrs away*” he wouldn’t even look at him after i had called and they said he would. After calling around i finally found him somewhere to be seen and the earliest was Tuesday(tomorrow). I’ve been monitoring him and he’s been consistent. From Thursday (first three pictures) to today it looks as if whatever it is is attempting to pop/drying out. I’m not gonna lie I’m very worried but I’m optimistic.
Does anyone have any possible ideas? I’ll update tomorrow with what the vet says!

8E8D7458-F70F-45FA-B43B-2D58D3B462F4.jpegF0834EC5-B474-49B6-8334-C7A1F36F5B0D.jpegD500C1F4-50AD-4CB8-AC53-6DEDAACB0037.jpeg34D8A262-57DB-491F-9B77-77A9C92ADFDD.jpegF5A07002-D31D-4704-8FED-DD4BCAA362ED.jpeg1311F098-9409-4880-8ED6-1FA5C98BFAAB.jpeg20D44CDD-2CB9-42BF-B6D8-F0C6089AE147.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yipes! This poor baby needs to see a vet sooner rather than later. If the area was anywhere other than his head, I would feel comfortable messing with it myself, but this guy needs an expert.

krysw03

north carolina
Yipes! This poor baby needs to see a vet sooner rather than later. If the area was anywhere other than his head, I would feel comfortable messing with it myself, but this guy needs an expert.
He’s seeing one tomorrow! Unfortunately with covid and my area seeing a vet isn’t as easy as it should be.

BillyTheSulcata

Houston, Texas
Hi!
He got an eye infection about a month ago because we switched substrate. I got eye drops and increased soaks and it went away. He was swollen but i assumed it was from the eye infection itself. Swelling hasn’t gone down. It looks like an abscess or type of infection. The lump has seemed to stop growing and now it seems as if the skin is drying, the top lump seems yellow ish almost, however there is a side piece that does look like a typical abscess. I searched the forums and haven’t been able to find much. So i thought I’d post here to see if anyone has ideas and I’ll update for future searches as well.
-substrate was switched from top soil/coconut coir to mulch. I believe the mulch is what made him have an eye infection. We very quickly changed his substrate back.
-he eats a mix of grass,Timothy hay, turnip greens or mustard greens whichever we get, with cucumbers mixed in (he loves cucumbers and it helps him eat it all)
-urate have been normal but i personally haven’t seen one in about a week or two. I’m not sure if he’s backed up or if he’s just hydrated because of the increase in soaks.
-he’s not too lethargic, still likes to sleep a lot but still gets up to roam and eat.
-we got him at about 2 months old, so he’s now a little over 6 months, he is 68 grams.

the first three pictures are on Thursday. I had called a vet clinic who told me to bring him in Friday to be seen and because of covid you call and they take your pet back. The vet didn’t even come out and just told the receptionist “take him to another vet in *city 2 hrs away*” he wouldn’t even look at him after i had called and they said he would. After calling around i finally found him somewhere to be seen and the earliest was Tuesday(tomorrow). I’ve been monitoring him and he’s been consistent. From Thursday (first three pictures) to today it looks as if whatever it is is attempting to pop/drying out. I’m not gonna lie I’m very worried but I’m optimistic.
Does anyone have any possible ideas? I’ll update tomorrow with what the vet says!

View attachment 320321View attachment 320322View attachment 320323View attachment 320324View attachment 320325View attachment 320326View attachment 320327
Almost a year ago my tortoise had the same problem. The first veterinarian lost my trust from the way he talked and I took her to a 2nd veterinarian. She had an operation and an overnight stay in the hospital. She made a very good recovery. Your tortoise definitely needs veterinary care. I wish your tortoise a speedy and good recovery.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi!

View attachment 320321View attachment 320322View attachment 320323View attachment 320324View attachment 320325View attachment 320326View attachment 320327

Hello and welcome!
I am sooo glad you came to THIS site.
The people on here are really experts in my opinion. Your little guy is GORGEOUS!!!!! ?
Although, he is even MORE adorable with that bump on his head, it cannot be a good thing for him to have.
I am hoping that the vet you are about to see will have experience and be able to remove or medicate the area.
He WILL recover!!!!!
He just HAS to!!!
Make sure you TRUST the vet whatever the out come is. Don’t just let him tell you crazy stuff and expect you to believe it!
I hope it is an EXOTIC vet???
If not , search for one in your area.
Or look one up on this forum..
There is a list on here somewhere..
I will be waiting impatiently for an update!!!
I am sending you ALL of my POSITIVE VIBES and PRAYERS!! ????
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️???????????????????

krysw03

north carolina
Almost a year ago my tortoise had the same problem. The first veterinarian lost my trust from the way he talked and I took her to a 2nd veterinarian. She had an operation and an overnight stay in the hospital. She made a very good recovery. Your tortoise definitely needs veterinary care. I wish your tortoise a speedy and good recovery.
Thank you! I’m anxious for his appointment later! What did they say was wrong with your little guy?

krysw03

north carolina
It was an abscess. I hope that everything will go well with your little guy. Good vibes are being send his way.
Thank you! He’s loving the car ride and the sun is out and warm today so he’s VERY active which is a good sign. Do you happen to remember how much it cost to fix? I’m just trying to prepare.

Attachments

• 8A003C93-A5B7-44FC-B2C7-7348A8B43F70.jpeg
    8A003C93-A5B7-44FC-B2C7-7348A8B43F70.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29

BillyTheSulcata

Houston, Texas
Thank you! He’s loving the car ride and the sun is out and warm today so he’s VERY active which is a good sign. Do you happen to remember how much it cost to fix? I’m just trying to prepare.
I live in Jordan. The veterinarian was too nice and did not even want to charge me anything. Then he only took 5 J.D. which is about $3.55 This veterinarian is amazing. He really cares about animals.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What did the vet do or recommend? I hope your tortoise is going to be ok.

krysw03

north carolina
So my little guy got seen yesterday! The dr said it is an abscess! We are first trying out antibiotics, he got a shot yesterday and gets a daily and then another shot next week. She said it does seem to be healing on its own, that the abscess on his head looks like the puss dried up and will be falling off/out and the small abscess on the side is looking like it will drain on its own. She didn’t want to jump straight to surgery because of how small he is and the risks. She said with this it may change his head shape as he gets older after it heals but it shouldn’t have any serious complications, we just need to watch it until it clears up fully. Yesterday’s weather was finally nice enough he could go outside and he LOVED it. He was running all over the place. She said the way he’s eating and his activity is looking extremely well, like he isn’t affected by it! But we’re gonna see how the antibiotics do and monitor him and then go from there ❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
So my little guy got seen yesterday! The dr said it is an abscess! We are first trying out antibiotics, he got a shot yesterday and gets a daily and then another shot next week. She said it does seem to be healing on its own, that the abscess on his head looks like the puss dried up and will be falling off/out and the small abscess on the side is looking like it will drain on its own. She didn’t want to jump straight to surgery because of how small he is and the risks. She said with this it may change his head shape as he gets older after it heals but it shouldn’t have any serious complications, we just need to watch it until it clears up fully. Yesterday’s weather was finally nice enough he could go outside and he LOVED it. He was running all over the place. She said the way he’s eating and his activity is looking extremely well, like he isn’t affected by it! But we’re gonna see how the antibiotics do and monitor him and then go from there ❤️

So glad to hear this.
I was worried to hear your response.
When you were explaining about him running all around outside it reminded me of one of those fainting goats videos...?
And so what if he has a little lumpy head? He is absolutely gorgeous!
Wouldn’t change him for the world!!!!
(unless it was bad for him to have...) ?

Shellnewbie89

Jalisco
Hi!

How is the little guy?