Sulcata passing red along with urates

SarahJoy

Location (City and/or State)
Augusta georgia
My 3yo sulcata started passing red urine along with urate material. This began when I started feeding a softer hay. When I soak the hay it sometimes has a red tint coming off of it. The hay is by Kaytee (orchard). She is otherwise acting and eating normally...... any ideas? I rotate Tim hay, orchard grass hay and have used some bluegrass hay....I always soak it slightly. She gets a few greens (dandelion/escarole), hibiscus, grass and cactus (which I grow).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dandelion causes the urine to have a redish tint to it, and if your hay water is slightly red, I would imagine the food he's eating is causing the colored urine. I don't like to buy those hays that are sold in pet stores. They are very old and the stems are hard. I think, even with soaking, they're too hard for a tortoise to eat. Find a feed store and ask if they'll allow you to pick up some of the 'leavings' off the ground around the grass hay stack. Most of them will. You can even offer to pay a couple bucks for it. I like orchard grass hay the best because there are no actual stems, just nice soft blades.

And welcome to the Forum, Sarah. I'd love to see pictures of your tortoise.

Reactions: Tom

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
Dandelion causes the urine to have a redish tint to it, and if your hay water is slightly red, I would imagine the food he's eating is causing the colored urine. I don't like to buy those hays that are sold in pet stores. They are very old and the stems are hard. I think, even with soaking, they're too hard for a tortoise to eat. Find a feed store and ask if they'll allow you to pick up some of the 'leavings' off the ground around the grass hay stack. Most of them will. You can even offer to pay a couple bucks for it. I like orchard grass hay the best because there are no actual stems, just nice soft blades.

And welcome to the Forum, Sarah. I'd love to see pictures of your tortoise.
Thank you! I have been trying to score a bale of giant bermuda hay; hard to find in my area. I have ordered fresh from a farm I found but like you said, I don't know how old it is. I will post up some pics soon!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you! I have been trying to score a bale of giant bermuda hay; hard to find in my area. I have ordered fresh from a farm I found but like you said, I don't know how old it is. I will post up some pics soon!

How much did you buy? And did they ship? Believe it or not, with all the horse farms we have around here, our Summer drought resulted in a scarcity in hay & grass! Our feed store has no bales for sale.

Whats the name of your company? Thanks!

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
How much did you buy? And did they ship? Believe it or not, with all the horse farms we have around here, our Summer drought resulted in a scarcity in hay & grass! Our feed store has no bales for sale.

Whats the name of your company? Thanks!
I have not been able to get the bermuda; I got some bluegrass. I will look it up if you are looking for bluegrass. Hay USA grows Giant Bermuda in TX. They do not ship. So I am still searching for local bermuda hay. My research tells me it is sought after for special needs horses so I am hoping more farms will grow it. I want the best for my tort. Sorry my post was confusing.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have not been able to get the bermuda; I got some bluegrass. I will look it up if you are looking for bluegrass. Hay USA grows Giant Bermuda in TX. They do not ship. So I am still searching for local bermuda hay. My research tells me it is sought after for special needs horses so I am hoping more farms will grow it. I want the best for my tort. Sorry my post was confusing.

No problem. I found a HAY app yesterday and actually tracked down a local farm with bales of Orchard grass. Tomorrow, we are off to pick up a bale (or two) while he still has. 50-65 lb bales for $7.50. (Apparently all organic too)