Sulcata outdoor enclosure Palmdale, CA

Ariel Perez

Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale, CA
Hello everyone,

I currently have two 1 year old sulcata s. I recently moved to Palmdale, CA. Now that I have a decent sized back yard I want to have a small pen for them so that they can enjoy natural sunlight and natural growing grasses and weeds. I've browsed through a lot of posts and seen some neat designs for budget and efficiency. One that caught my attention had a brick perimeter with some 2 x 4 framed to fit on top with wire mesh. That layout seems perfect for my backyard. My ultimate goal was to keep them outside 24/7 atleast during this summer time. My concern is that it gets to about 75degrees at night and I'm wondering if the little guys runs risk. Any thoughts ?

The next idea was to add a heated shelter into the design but how recommended is it to do so and any ideas on how to accomplish this ? Please help me and thank you !

xirxes

4x8 area with grass, 1/2 full covered plywood cover, 1/2 open grate for sun, I would not leave 1 year olds outside over night unless they are freakish growth and over 12" linear plastron.

When you build outside follow Tom's guide.

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
Thank you for the reply !

My little guys aren't 12 inches. The are definitely smaller than that. Even with protection and a night heated box ? You wouldn't advise it ?

Well maybe I can use the shelter during the day instead and bring them in at night .

Thank you !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
4x8 area with grass, 1/2 full covered plywood cover, 1/2 open grate for sun, I would not leave 1 year olds outside over night unless they are freakish growth and over 12" linear plastron.

When you build outside follow Tom's guide.

I don't know where you are, because you haven't put it in your profile, but a half plywood cover over a brick enclosure in summer in Palmdale will cook her tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I currently have two 1 year old sulcata s. I recently moved to Palmdale, CA. Now that I have a decent sized back yard I want to have a small pen for them so that they can enjoy natural sunlight and natural growing grasses and weeds. I've browsed through a lot of posts and seen some neat designs for budget and efficiency. One that caught my attention had a brick perimeter with some 2 x 4 framed to fit on top with wire mesh. That layout seems perfect for my backyard. My ultimate goal was to keep them outside 24/7 atleast during this summer time. My concern is that it gets to about 75degrees at night and I'm wondering if the little guys runs risk. Any thoughts ?

The next idea was to add a heated shelter into the design but how recommended is it to do so and any ideas on how to accomplish this ? Please help me and thank you !

What size are your tortoises?

If they are under 10", here is what I like to do:
Have a large indoor closed chamber for the majority of the time. Then, during fair weather, I like to give young sulcatas an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. This general guideline has served me well. I always soak them directly after sunning because our dry climate up here really desiccates them. I avoid temperature extremes. I don't put them out when temps are below 65ish, and in summer, I bring them in when temps start reaching the mid 90's. Be VERY careful in this heat. They can over heat and die very easily and it happens all the time. Best if they have an underground retreat, but check temps early and often. Misters, sprinklers, shade cloth and heavy shade from high over head all help to keep them cool, but when its 105, they simply cannot cool down without some help from us.

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
What size are your tortoises?

If they are under 10", here is what I like to do:
Have a large indoor closed chamber for the majority of the time. Then, during fair weather, I like to give young sulcatas an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. This general guideline has served me well. I always soak them directly after sunning because our dry climate up here really desiccates them. I avoid temperature extremes. I don't put them out when temps are below 65ish, and in summer, I bring them in when temps start reaching the mid 90's. Be VERY careful in this heat. They can over heat and die very easily and it happens all the time. Best if they have an underground retreat, but check temps early and often. Misters, sprinklers, shade cloth and heavy shade from high over head all help to keep them cool, but when its 105, they simply cannot cool down without some help from us.

Hey thanks for the reply.

I have thought about digging a small reinforced bunker with access on top about a foot deep only to give them a cooler area to hide. Also adding a couple sprinklers in order to mist the area both for the tortoises and the grass. It might be possible to make it happen for these guys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey thanks for the reply.

I have thought about digging a small reinforced bunker with access on top about a foot deep only to give them a cooler area to hide. Also adding a couple sprinklers in order to mist the area both for the tortoises and the grass. It might be possible to make it happen for these guys.

Both of those ideas sound great. Whatever you end up doing, just check those temps frequently.