Sulcata or desert tort?

agintz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
My tortoise just turned four. I have done a lot of research, and think she is a sulcata. I met her parents the day we brought her home and they were huge! Male 140 lbs, female 110. The owner called them desert tortoises, but Arizona desert tortoises dont get that big, do they? She is outgrowing her aquarium so we have created an outdoor enclosure for her to go. How warm/what temp should i keep it? We live in Phoenix, but temps get down into the 40s/50s on winter nights.

1010151107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
definitely not a desert tortoise. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a sulcata, and no, desert tortoises don't get anywhere near that big. Some people mistakenly believe that sulcatas come from a desert in their native range and refer to them as a "desert" species. This is not correct.

What size is your tortoise now?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your sulcata needs to be set up outside now. It's big enough to graduate out of the aquarium. If your nights are a bit on the cool side, you can set the tortoise up outside with a heated shelter. We have many examples of this in the "Enclosure" section.

agintz

5 Year Member
Phoenix
You have a sulcata, and no, desert tortoises don't get anywhere near that big. Some people mistakenly believe that sulcatas come from a desert in their native range and refer to them as a "desert" species. This is not correct.

What size is your tortoise now?
Her shell is about 7 inches long by 5 inches wide. She weighs around 3.5 pounds. I want to upgrade her outdoor enclosure so that she can be outside full time, but am worried about the cold. Last couple of nights have gotten down into the 40's. The thermometer in her house read 50-55.