Sulcata not active and sleeping all the time

Shelbygracex3

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello! I have a baby sulcata tortoise that seems to be spending all its time sleeping & not really walking around or looking for food. My temperatures are 105 under the basking light, 84 on the cool end, & about 90 at the warm end. The enclosure I have also has a separate hiding area (where he’s been sleeping at the most) that is 78 . At night it is 75 and 80 under where the light usually is. I soak him 3 times a week . I feed him a mix of grasses/clovers/weed that I grew from https://www.sulcatafood.com/Seeds.html . I use to cut it up and leave it in a pile for him in his enclosure but now he’s sleeping all the time so it dries up before he gets to it . So now I take him outside and put him in the garden area , he eats for a little bit but then ends up falling asleep again. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or if this is normal. Any suggestions would be amazing I really just want to make sure this little guy is doing okay

0C87463F-B4CD-41DE-A812-2F6C70D049DB.jpeg52B269DC-3C1E-4FE2-A29D-99AC018DF207.jpegC8FF7B7E-47BB-402E-8BB2-63C7EFFCA699.jpeg

Shelbygracex3

Florida
Hello! I have a baby sulcata tortoise that seems to be spending all its time sleeping & not really walking around or looking for food. My temperatures are 105 under the basking light, 84 on the cool end, & about 90 at the warm end. The enclosure I have also has a separate hiding area (where he’s been sleeping at the most) that is 78 . At night it is 75 and 80 under where the light usually is. I soak him 3 times a week . I feed him a mix of grasses/clovers/weed that I grew from https://www.sulcatafood.com/Seeds.html . I use to cut it up and leave it in a pile for him in his enclosure but now he’s sleeping all the time so it dries up before he gets to it . So now I take him outside and put him in the garden area , he eats for a little bit but then ends up falling asleep again. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or if this is normal. Any suggestions would be amazing I really just want to make sure this little guy is doing okay

Attachments

• 6455866C-DDB3-433A-89DC-BDF931CEEEF8.jpeg
    6455866C-DDB3-433A-89DC-BDF931CEEEF8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 96B04CCD-D850-46AA-83E3-6CE21B57FD4B.jpeg
    96B04CCD-D850-46AA-83E3-6CE21B57FD4B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • E33B20A3-8A39-4320-BD06-A511C7570A94.jpeg
    E33B20A3-8A39-4320-BD06-A511C7570A94.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
See? That's just one reason I don't like those Zoo Med Tortoise Houses. Your little baby needs to live in warm (80-85F), humid conditions day and night, and with that covered area in the zoo med house, he's too cold. If you can remove that portion of the cover, fix a rod up about a foot across the top of the enclosure to hang lights/heat on and to support a sheet of plastic, you MIGHT be able to fix that Zoo Med thing into a suitable covered enclosure.

Here's what I mean about a light/heat support rod:

light stand g.jpglights 3.jpg

And then you drape the whole thing with plastic, tucking it under the enclosure to help it be air tight.

It will do in a pinch, but to do it right you'll need to do a search for Tom's "closed chamber"

Shelbygracex3

Florida
See? That's just one reason I don't like those Zoo Med Tortoise Houses. Your little baby needs to live in warm (80-85F), humid conditions day and night, and with that covered area in the zoo med house, he's too cold. If you can remove that portion of the cover, fix a rod up about a foot across the top of the enclosure to hang lights/heat on and to support a sheet of plastic, you MIGHT be able to fix that Zoo Med thing into a suitable covered enclosure.

Here's what I mean about a light/heat support rod:

View attachment 289208View attachment 289209

And then you drape the whole thing with plastic, tucking it under the enclosure to help it be air tight.

It will do in a pinch, but to do it right you'll need to do a search for Tom's "closed chamber"
Thanks so much for the response! I will try and see if I can remove that portion of cover and go get the stuff to make a light/heat support rod. I will go do my research on Tom’s closed chamber right now.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Thanks so much for the response! I will try and see if I can remove that portion of cover and go get the stuff to make a light/heat support rod. I will go do my research on Tom’s closed chamber right now.
If your looking for a metal support hook , you can fine one at Walmart's garden center. Check by the large hanging pot holders and there should bo some short ones that have a clamp that you can place it on the box. About $7.00 to $8.00.20200329_150254.jpg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I’ll suggest getting a Tote they are pretty Cheap. Not only is it better than the tortoise table but you can maintain Humidity unlike the TTB. try feeding spring mix without spinach and kale etc. then add the mix of grasses and weeds when young they will probably NEVER eat Grass.