Sulcata Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank the great

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, I'm a total newbie so I might need a few tips. I just got a month old sulcata this weekend from the Anaheim Reptile show. Not quite sure if its a girl or boy obviously so I named him/her Tank. Very strong and built like a tank so I thought it was fitting. I have fallen in love already and want to do my best to care for Tank so any helpful hints would be appreciated. I have Tank in a 20 gal with a UVB and heat lamp (although the temp gauge inside the tank only says 97•F) and the bedding is peer moss and alfalfa hay. Not super fancy so far. ImageUploadedByTortForum1379972837.712855.jpg

My mistake...the temp inside is only 87F

And peet moss!..(my iPhone is killing me with auto correct!) Sorry.

My pet store suggested Alfalfa pellet substrate? They say its easiest to clean and good for Oder control. I know that bedding is somewhat of a hot topic but does anyone agree/disagree with the alfalfa pellets?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to the Forum. There is a lot of good information here written byexperienced keepers and breeders alike. I have one, 3-1/2 year old sulcata that I got when he was still a baby. They grow fast. It takes continued learning to stay ahead of their needs. Without the people here on the Forum I would have failed a long time ago. For example: the tank you have will be too small in a few months. You will want to start now planning his next enclosure. You will need it about Christmas time or soon afterward. You may want to start reading the Enclosure section for ideas. Sulcata's need to stay warm at night too. That single lamp that you have will not keep the temps where they need to be at night. About 80F is the general recommendation. A ceramic heat emitter (CHE) is one way to get warmth and darkness for your young tortoise.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/ceramic..._id=26670319&gclid=CJ2lxLnG4rkCFSNyQgodSEgAUg

Of course you don't want to overheat the youngster so you'll need some way to keep it from getting to hot in there. Many of us find it convenient to use a thermostat to turn the CHE on and off keeping the temperature pretty stable.
http://www.petco.com/product/108340...la-_-1202944&gclid=CIOC66XH4rkCFcg1QgodwRUA8w

To add more stability to the temperatures in the tank you may need to cover the top and hang the lamps and CHE through small openings. This keeps the heat from escaping requiring less wattage to be used (and lower electrical use).

All that heat dries out the air in the tank. Not good. For good shell growth and general good health young tortoises need a somewhat humid environment. You will need to address this issue immediately. The first thing you could do is to get a sustrate that holds mosture. The moss you have is okay, I think, but the hay needs to go. I used coconut coir, but other substrates are good too. Even top soil would be better than the hay that you have.

Others will be along to give you more tips. Congratulations on your new baby.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read the great threads for raising a healthy, smooth sully of forum member Tom. They are below in my post.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Welcome! If you cute little baby doesnt have a water dish (I could not tell from pic) it needs one to keep hydrated. A plant saucer works great and is very inexpensive.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
perhaps check out closed chambers on here, go to the search bar and just type it in. good luck raising your baby

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

After you've read the "Important Threads" at the top of the Sulcata section, you'll see that alfalfa pellets are not good at all. You want a moist substrate. But read first, then ask whatever you still need understanding on.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
First off, hello and welcome...congratulations on your new friend...unfortunately petstores are very misleading. Here on the forum you will be lead in the right direction. Maybe several different ways, but you pick your path. We all have things that work for us...hay bedding is not good, soil is good or there is commercial bedding. They require humidity 80% and above.. temps 100* basking , 90 warm, 85-80* cool..never below 80* ..dark leafy greens for your diet..exercise..natural sunshine when possible.. and hydration. Below my signature are some links to some sites. If interested please read...good luck to you. :)

Tank the great

5 Year Member
Thanks so much everyone! I've got a little water dish now, the hay is gone and a basking light is on the other side. Tomorrow ill get a thermostat. Next month ill start on a larger habitat for Tank as well. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You are lucky Tom just updated his threads on keeping smooth sulcatas. Welcome ! Just wait in no time he will be this big.That is a full grown sulcata that a forum member Kelly just took in . Very beautiful tort.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1379989384915.jpg
    1379989384915.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 60

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome! I think once you start to read Tom's threads on sulcata care, you'll be so engrossed, you'll need to keep a reference guide nears you. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.