Sulcata laying dates

Fruitguy

Location (City and/or State)
mesa,az
What makes a sulcata decide to lay? It seems like my girls started laying in October last year, but here it is the end of November and they haven't laid. What starts them to lay? Temperature? Rain? Angle of the sun? Food? Date?

Fruitguy

mesa,az
what stimulates sulcatas to decide to lay? Last year my girls laid in October, but here it is the end of November and they still haven't laid. Is it temperature? Rain? Sun angle? Food?

Fruitguy

mesa,az
what stimulates sulcatas to decide to lay? Last year my girls laid in October, but here it is the end of November and they still haven't laid. Is it temperature? Rain? Sun angle? Food?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They typically lay in winter. Mine usually lay late December or January for the first time, and then lay two or three more clutches until it warms up again in May.

This is if you are heating them correctly over winter. Some people in AZ let them burrow and don't heat them. This is a mistake, and I don't know what effect it will have on their breeding cycle.

Fruitguy

mesa,az
I have also noticed my sulcatas are late laying this year. so I will also ask the question you did - but nobody had an answer: what stimulates sulcatas to lay?..... angle of the sun, or temperature or actual date in the calendar year? where might i go to find the answer?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have also noticed my sulcatas are late laying this year...
Its not late for them to lay right now. It would be very early. February would be a bit on the late side, but again, this depends on how they are housed, and many people in your area don't keep them warm enough in winter because they mistakenly think they don't need it.

...so I will also ask the question you did - but nobody had an answer: what stimulates sulcatas to lay?..... angle of the sun, or temperature or actual date in the calendar year? where might i go to find the answer?
No one knows the answer to this question. It is likely a combination of everything you listed and more.