ToryTort

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool:Merseyside
I purchased a Sulcata a couple of weeks ago. It came with a tortoise table and a rubbish bulb with plastic light fitting.
The pet store said for me to keep the light on 24hours, I knew this to be wrong after doing a little research before purchasing and couldn’t believe what he’s said.
Anyway i have recently read that Vivariums are better for young tortoises, I was lead to believe beforehand they were not suitable and I need a tortoise table for airflow etc.
My first question is do I need a Vivarium ? If so how long do I keep him in there for and when can he start sleeping outside with s heated/uv enclosure to go into. “My tortoise is around 4months, I bath him and spray his terrain etc.
2nd question, My ceramic bulb has hairline cracks in I purchased it new. Is this normal, if so is it safe to be left on 24/7 on a thermostat ?
Last but not least what are the best lighting hours, I’ve read variations from 12 on 12 off 14/10, 16/08. At the moment he’s on 14/10 on a 80w uv bulb basking temp 38 degrees.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I purchased a Sulcata a couple of weeks ago. It came with a tortoise table and a rubbish bulb with plastic light fitting.
The pet store said for me to keep the light on 24hours, I knew this to be wrong after doing a little research before purchasing and couldn’t believe what he’s said.
Anyway i have recently read that Vivariums are better for young tortoises, I was lead to believe beforehand they were not suitable and I need a tortoise table for airflow etc.
My first question is do I need a Vivarium ? If so how long do I keep him in there for and when can he start sleeping outside with s heated/uv enclosure to go into. “My tortoise is around 4months, I bath him and spray his terrain etc.
2nd question, My ceramic bulb has hairline cracks in I purchased it new. Is this normal, if so is it safe to be left on 24/7 on a thermostat ?
Last but not least what are the best lighting hours, I’ve read variations from 12 on 12 off 14/10, 16/08. At the moment he’s on 14/10 on a 80w uv bulb basking temp 38 degrees.
Hang in there. I can't give you answers or advice on sulcotas. There's tremendous amounts of info on Tortoise Forum until someone with more experiences gets in touch with you in the meantime. I went through all that wrong advice too with my Russian. I can tell you this...as soon as a pet shop tried to sell me box turtle food for my grassland tortoise...I became deaf to anything else they said. Daylight and darkness is good for everyone.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Very glad you joined.

First, give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

-for the enclosure, you want anything with very limited air flow to hold 80-100% humidity. You could use a large tub for this.

-my ceramic bulb has a little piece missing, but I’ve been using it for almost 3 years with no issues. I would imagine it works fine.

- I do a 14/10 light cycle, but 12/12 or anything in between works fine. Be sure that you have a few dark hides.

ToryTort

Liverpool:Merseyside
Welcome to the forum! Very glad you joined.

First, give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

-for the enclosure, you want anything with very limited air flow to hold 80-100% humidity. You could use a large tub for this.

-my ceramic bulb has a little piece missing, but I’ve been using it for almost 3 years with no issues. I would imagine it works fine.

- I do a 14/10 light cycle, but 12/12 or anything in between works fine. Be sure that you have a few dark hides.

Thanks very much for your reply. I will read the links you posted. Thanks

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
My ceramic bulbs have what looks like micro cracks also. I have had 1 for over 20 years and it still works fine. I just bought a new one and it was the same way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Lucky for you and your tortoise that you realize the pet shop's advice was rubbish.