Sulcata Hydration In Cold Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I started leaving Walker my 16 (almost 17) year sulcata out all year last winter, I've noticed he drinks a lot more water during winter than in the summer. He has been drinking about a half gallon at a time every 3 days with no drinking in between,--meaning he doesn't drink every day-- It has been much colder this year than last year, our temps for the last week have ranged for 19 to 45 Fahrenheit. Early in the fall he wasn't drinking as much and he seemed to have the bubbly eyes syndrome more often, but since his water intake has increased his eyes seem more clear. I can't soak him or make him drink, but at some point it's as if he knows when he needs more water. Anyone else that keeps their tortoises out all year noticed an increase in water intake when it gets cold and they spend less time outside? No matter what the temperature is, Walker will spend about 4 hours out before going back into his house for the night. a pic from today with his no-spill water bowl that holds 6 quarts.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would imagine there would be a greater need for intake if the ambient humidity has dropped due to the resultant greater loss of moisture to the environment.

That is very interesting about you keeping him out year-'round. I find your posts to be among the most informative here.

I have not yet braved keeping any of my non-Testudo out all year, but I will see how things go someday in the future.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Len~ I know (or at least I think I do ) that you also keep Russians.
Do you have the same set up for them? out all year with a large room or hide (heated) to go into at will?
I am curious about this....I think that all of the sulllies that stay out are so happy and I would like to offer this
to some of my torts if it would help them to be happier and healthier......It should be noted that I am on the east coast so it gets pretty cold here

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Baoh said:
I would imagine there would be a greater need for intake if the ambient humidity has dropped due to the resultant greater loss of moisture to the environment.

That is very interesting about you keeping him out year-'round. I find your posts to be among the most informative here.

I have not yet braved keeping any of my non-Testudo out all year, but I will see how things go someday in the future.

It is also very dry in his house, which is 7 x 7 feet inside, even though I am able to keep the door open,with vinyl flaps for a wind break, and his favorite place to poop during winter is inside, the humidity stays very low, I may try using a oil filled heater with a container of water sitting on top of it to add a little moisture for him next year. I am doing this in the garage and it seems to help to keep the humidity up a little for the torts out there, a gallon evaporates in less than 3 days on the medium setting, not a lot but every little bit helps. Right now the only heat sources in his winter house is a 3 x4 foot heat mat and a 150 watt CHE, which gives more than enough heat, with all the insulation used in building it.I was nervous last year, his first winter out, but we had an unusually warm winter and he showed me he knew what to do and when to go back inside to warm up.

Irwin4530 said:
Len~ I know (or at least I think I do ) that you also keep Russians.
Do you have the same set up for them? out all year with a large room or hide (heated) to go into at will?
I am curious about this....I think that all of the sulllies that stay out are so happy and I would like to offer this
to some of my torts if it would help them to be happier and healthier......It should be noted that I am on the east coast so it gets pretty cold here

The Russians are inside, I just got them this year, and let the first 3 cool down for a little over a month and then I woke them up.(just got the 3rd female a few days ago) I was worried, not knowing their past, about leaving them asleep all winter. But next year I am planning on leaving them outside, after fixing them a place that will stay dry and not freeze, I am also on the east coast, a few miles down river from Washington DC. I know how cold it can get here.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I have had this group for about 3 years now and they are healthy and strong. Their outdoor pen is in a nice sheltered area so it would be a good spot to try leaving them in. I guess I will have to start researching this to see if its right for me/us....I don't want to harm them obviously :)

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.