Sulcata House - Need details

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
My husband is working all the time and I need some simple instructions for a warm nice sized house that I can build myself. Also a list of all material so I only have to make one trip to home improvement store. Since the current freezing temps in Louisiana, Daisy's outside outside wasn't staying warm enough (thrown together when she got big). Her shell is now 12 inches and I don't know how much she weighs but it's getting hard for me to pick her up. We lost power here and it got down to 50 in the house. We have gas water heater, so I put her in the small bathroom, hot water running and she got a steam house - Had to put her in a plastic bin with Timothy hay and Reptibark. She is not happy because she had free rein of back yard and now confined. A little bit ago I took her out and let her graze on clover while I cleaned out the plastic bin. I want the house to be big enough for her when she gets really big. Any and all designs welcome.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow.....you only want to make one trip to the hardware store? How handy are you with the tools that you have? I’m guessing you have a Sulcata. @Tom has posted many threads on building the perfect Sulcata nightbox. You want to make a double walled rectangular box with styrofoam insulation in between the outer & inner wall. An insulated lid that lifts up. Inside.....a kane heat mat hooked up to a thermostat, a Radiant Panel in the ceiling connected to the same thermostat. You can also get a small “oil filled” electric heater for inside.

Search for Toms info, he spells out a lot of the supplies needed.

Here’s a start

➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It’s totally doable! I built the 4x4 box myself and I’m sure glad. You’ll spend twice that much repeatedly building others to get you out of a bind..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My husband is working all the time and I need some simple instructions for a warm nice sized house that I can build myself. Also a list of all material so I only have to make one trip to home improvement store. Since the current freezing temps in Louisiana, Daisy's outside outside wasn't staying warm enough (thrown together when she got big). Her shell is now 12 inches and I don't know how much she weighs but it's getting hard for me to pick her up. We lost power here and it got down to 50 in the house. We have gas water heater, so I put her in the small bathroom, hot water running and she got a steam house - Had to put her in a plastic bin with Timothy hay and Reptibark. She is not happy because she had free rein of back yard and now confined. A little bit ago I took her out and let her graze on clover while I cleaned out the plastic bin. I want the house to be big enough for her when she gets really big. Any and all designs welcome.
Here is all that info:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here is all that info:

Hey @Tom thanks for linking all those builds. I figured that you would chime in with them.

Reactions: Tom