Sulcata hatchlings for a Kindle on Craig's List?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sonoran Desert
Hey guys, my dad was on Craig's List earlier and he found the following ad. I guessed that they were Sulcata when he couldn't remember what they were (just that they looked weird, lol!) , so I looked up the listing to see...

I know it's illegal to sell desert tortoises, but I know nothing about sulcatas. I'm really worried about them. I have no idea if this is in the right place, but they're trading two cute little tortoises for a Kindle? Something about this is super fishy. I have no intentions of buying them because Merlin and Morgan are already keeping me on my toes.

Here's the link to the ad, and a copy of the text in case it gets flagged:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/bar/3402445129.html

"2 Sulcata Tortoise Babies PLUS 20 & 10 Gal Aquariums & Supplies, including 1 infrared (warming) light bulb that was $16.

I wanted these for a long time but they need to be with someone that knows how to take care of them. Just because you think they're cute doesn't mean you should have them.

I have everything EXCEPT the UVB light. I was told they really need it unless you plan on putting them outside for 4 to 8 hours a day.

The rehoming fee is $100 for EVERYTHING or I will trade for a KINDLE FIRE or KINDLE PAPERWHITE or just a regular KINDLE and a little cash.

IF YOU TRADE ME WITH A KINDLE AND IT IS USED YOU MUST PROVE IT WORKS AND THAT BOOKS CAN BE DOWNLOADED ON IT.

Call Kim @ 520-Seven, seven, seven, seventy, eight, four. DO NOT TEXT PLEASE, this is not a cell phone."

I've written out the number so that they don't get spam bots calling them. I hope you guys know what to do, and that these little guys find a proper home.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
They look like sullys to me. It's perfectly legal to sell and trade them...well that 4 inch rule probably applies but there are HUNDREDS of hatchlings on Craigslist in AZ. I have found one person in Tucson "re-homing" a desert tortoise that someone "found" for $25. I sent them an email explaining that it was illegal and I got a thank you back. I haven't seen the ad since.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
That's so terrible. :( I guess it's no different than people getting cats or dogs then turning around and not wanting them, but it makes me really unhappy nonetheless.

Thanks for clarifying, I really don't know much about tortoises outside of my own two. (I found tortoise poop for the first time a couple weeks ago-- I was actually thrilled. It made me feel like I'm doing an okay job if they're not unhappy and constipated)

Status
Not open for further replies.