Sulcata hatchling weight...

Keith D.

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello all, as most of you know I adopted 3 3week old sulcata hatchlings almost three weeks ago. Tomorrow they will be 6 weeks old. Anyway when I got them on 9/12/15 they weighed as follows: Wakko approx. 20g, Yakko approx. 20g and Dot approx 20g. (Those are approx weights because I was using a ancient non digital kitchen scale). OK so on 9/22/15 Wakko weighed 44g, Yakko weighed 42g and Dot weighed 35g. Today 9/29/15 Wakko weighed 51g, Yakko weighed 48g and Dot weighed 38g. (All the weights since 9/22/15 are accurate due to a nice new digital scale)
So the question is, and like Tom has talked to me about, it seems that there weights are still under a bit, so I worry. Ok to the question, as long as they are gaining weight and not loosing should I worry, or am I just overly concerned?
They all eat pretty well and get outside 4 times or so a week for 30min or so each time. I am sure when they get into there 100gal tank they will gain more faster. Please give e all of your feedback, like I said before it has been a loooooong time since I have raised hatchling sulcatas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid I can't be much help with this one. I soak babies daily. I put a big glob of food on the feeding tile daily. I pick up little poops that I can see daily. I fill the waterer with fresh water daily. That is the extent of my dealings with baby tortoises. I have never weighed a baby tortoise, sorry.

Keith D.

Arizona
I'm afraid I can't be much help with this one. I soak babies daily. I put a big glob of food on the feeding tile daily. I pick up little poops that I can see daily. I fill the waterer with fresh water daily. That is the extent of my dealings with baby tortoises. I have never weighed a baby tortoise, sorry.
Lol ty Yvonne for trying to help me :) maybe @Tom or someone else can guide me a bit more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those weights are fine. Steady gain is a great sign that things ore okay, and progressing normally.