Sulcata group?

Keister

Hi all, I have been floating around here on the forums for quite some time now and I have been spurred into posting now after reading the thread about the baby sulcatas. I currently have a sulcata that is about 19-20 months old now and he/she is happy and healthy. I am really wanting to get him some "friends" in the hopes that one day I will be able to attempt to breed them. I am looking to get three more in the hopes that I can get one of the opposite sex to the one that I have now. The original plan was to sell the other two a few years down the road when I can get positive sexes on all of them including the one that I have now. Now that I have read that post I am questioning the idea of selling the other two. I want them to all be as happy and healthy as I can possibly get them so I am not willing to sacrifice the health of any of them. My question is: would I be ok to keep a group of four together rather then the pair I had originally planned on? The three I would be buying would be hatchlings, and obviously I would not be putting them together for a long time. I will be quarantining the new three from the one I have now, not as though I could put them together even if I wanted to. If it isn't going to be good for them I will not get the new three but if it will be ok in a few years I will go ahead and get them and raise them separately until they are close enough in size to be put together. Thankyou all in advance! -Luke Keister

argus333

5 Year Member
hard to tell sex when they are under 12 inches. and if u have a football field for grazing and exercise id say go for it. best is 1 male and 2 females. if u have a lot of room u can do a herd but id still just have 1 male.

Keister

Awesome thankyou very much! I'm not worried about the space at all just the potential issues between tortoise and tortoise. Thankyou for the quick reply!