Sulcata Found in Florida Needs a Good Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CacaoCacao

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

A few days ago I found a tortoise wandering around the roadside in my neighborhood. I didn't really know what to think when I saw it since I didn't know whether it was some native species that had somehow found his way here or, more likely, it was a pet who either escaped or someone got tired of and let loose.

Either way I didn't want to just leave it there so I picked it up and did a little research to find out what kind of tortoise it was and I'm pretty positive it's a sulcata. I don't want to give it to animal control and I'd really like to see it put in a good, loving home, but I really cannot keep it. I'm a student and I'm moving to go to a University where I will most likely not have enough space in the student housing for me and my roommate, much less a tortoise who naturally needs a lot of room to graze. Also I'm confined to a wheelchair and while it's quite small and easily manageable now, I definitely won't be able to lift or clean up after it when it's 50+ pounds.

I live in Miami, Fl and it's temporary home is a fenced off space in my parent's backyard where it seems to be doing well. I've done some research and I'm taking care of it as best I can, and am willing to do so until I leave, but I'd sleep a lot sounder knowing it has a more permanent home lined up. I've put some fliers up but I'm doubtful that anyone will claim him.

It's about 10 inches right now and I think it's a male but I can't be sure. It's got some pyramiding which I read was probably due to a bad diet, but it's getting plenty of dry grass now.

If anyone can point me to some trustworthy organizations which might be better suited to finding it a good, permanent owner, or better yet someone willing to take it without a middle-man then please let me know. I really want to find this beautiful creature a loving home, so any help at all is greatly appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Cacao Cacao:

Welcome to the forum!!

There are quite a few tortoise rescues in Florida. I think that would be the best thing to do. Just put "Florida Tortoise Rescue" in your Google search engine and it comes up with a full page of them.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Kudos to you for picking up the tortoise & doing your best to find him/her a good home! Best of luck to you both :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Good luck, we get several a year also. If you were on this side of the state I could help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.