Sulcata eating Lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

walker95023

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone.
I have a 2 year old Sulcata and hes just getting old enough that he is trying to eat more stuff. For example he go out onto the lawn in the afternoon while I am home and he is eating the blades of grass. He has never tried to do this before and I was just wondering if UN-fertalized non-chemical treated yard lawn would be harmful to him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Actually, if the yard is free of chemicals, then grazing on the weeds and grasses is the best thing for your tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grass should have been one of his main foods for the last two years. Better late than never. :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Tom and Yvonne said it all. Sulcatas are no motor lawn mowers. And grass is the best food for their bellies. Just be sure no chemicals, ever! Congrats on finding this out. Hopefully your lawn mowing time will be cut in half, or more, woo hoo!

walker95023

5 Year Member
Thanks for your replies!
My sullie has been on a grass, weed, edible leaf diet the entire time I have had him. When I mean eating the lawn I mean not yard grasses or weeks but straight up Lawn, planted by laying out SOD several years ago. I have read many creditable sites on feedin sulcatas but have not found anything about Lawn and just wanted to make sure its not a farmful grass for them to digest. He is getting bigger and is only now able to pull blades of grass out of the lawn on his own. This had never crossed my mind till now since he is actually eating it, Alot! Thanks everyone for your helpful information

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think Sod is chemically treated. I would def. look into that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If your sod is over a year old and you know it has not been treated with anything, then should be aok....

Most sod rolls have a green plastic netting that is laid into the sod to allow it to remain in tact for moving and for rolling up and out...if your tort eats down low enough they may encounter that green plastic netting...which will likely cause problems...beat or feet getting stuck in the netting....

Now, if you were lucky enough to have the net free sod then your tort should be just fine :D

Grass consumption for a tortoise is a good thing..

RiverRat

5 Year Member
Wow, at two he should be an eating machine! Rodney just turned one and would eat a small child if it was wearing a flower costume!

Status
Not open for further replies.