Sulcata diet question.

Jay1718

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina, USA
hi everyone,
I feed my baby sulcata. Organic spring mix, collards, mustard greens, grass clippings, clover, a variety of weeds, muscadine grape leaves. He eats well but I'm concerned because he will not eat the commercial pellet foods. I have mazuri pellets along with a bag of tortoise pellets the breeder gave me. This morning I had the idea to crush it up with a meat tenderizer and mix it with his salad. I will see if that helps.
Just wondering if I should stress over it or not? I only offer the pellets in the morning feed, then in the afternoons he gets a salad for weeds and grass.
I try to mix things up with the greens and weeds so he doesn't develop a favorite, but try to feed grass always because he isn't to crazy about it yet.
Also I read Toms post on sulcata diet. Actually I've read so much they run together lol. I was curious if anyone knew a good book for plant identification. I'd be lucky to make a phone call on the trails around the house, so my smart phone is of no use in the woods. I would just like a go to book for my bag. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no reason that you have to feed any pellets. They are convenient and a nice way to supplement an otherwise good diet, but your tortoise doesn't "need" them if they are getting all the good stuff that you are offering.

I know of no book that would help your situation and even the internet isn't helpful sometimes. While out on those trails take a pic, or snip a sample and go make friends with the plant nerd at your local garden center or nursery. They are the best resource I have found for weed ID. They can also help you with growing your own stuff if you tell them what you want to grow and what it is for. Make sure that know you are growing food for animal consumption to be sure you don't get the wrong soil additives and stuff.

If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole. Also look for turnip and mustard greens, cilantro, carrot tops and much more.

Jay1718

South Carolina, USA
There is no reason that you have to feed any pellets. They are convenient and a nice way to supplement an otherwise good diet, but your tortoise doesn't "need" them if they are getting all the good stuff that you are offering.

I know of no book that would help your situation and even the internet isn't helpful sometimes. While out on those trails take a pic, or snip a sample and go make friends with the plant nerd at your local garden center or nursery. They are the best resource I have found for weed ID. They can also help you with growing your own stuff if you tell them what you want to grow and what it is for. Make sure that know you are growing food for animal consumption to be sure you don't get the wrong soil additives and stuff.

If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole. Also look for turnip and mustard greens, cilantro, carrot tops and much more.
My 4 year old will be so disappointed, she had a ball helping me crush those pellets up this morning lol.
I prefer to feed the weeds and grass, I have identified a lot but can't remember the names, I just know they are safe. I always have a variety of greens in the fridge for the other animals around her. I know the cashiers at bilo think I'm a vegetarian lol
Thanks for the advise, and by the way, you don't really know me, but you are like my tortoise guru. Have a great day

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My 4 year old will be so disappointed, she had a ball helping me crush those pellets up this morning lol.

I believe Tom is saying pellets are not required, so don't worry if the diet is good. But pellets are a great addition and way to help ensure that added minerals and vitamins are in the diet. A PLUS if a part of the diet, but not a disaster, or required part. Go ahead and let your daughter crush pellets. What type are you trying? Most of us seem to have the best results with the regular (not LS) Mazuri Tortoise diet. (product 5M21). You don't have to crush it, just soak it in water a few minutes and it becomes a favorite food for all my tortoises.

Jay1718

South Carolina, USA
I believe Tom is saying pellets are not required, so don't worry if the diet is good. But pellets are a great addition and way to help ensure that added minerals and vitamins are in the diet. A PLUS if a part of the diet, but not a disaster, or required part. Go ahead and let your daughter crush pellets. What type are you trying? Most of us seem to have the best results with the regular (not LS) Mazuri Tortoise diet. (product 5M21). You don't have to crush it, just soak it in water a few minutes and it becomes a favorite food for all my tortoises.
Ok I have the LS that must be the problem. Thank you so much. I knew what Tom was saying, but you should have seen my kitchen a few hrs ago lol.
Thanks again, I'm gonna order the other pellets now

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Ok I have the LS that must be the problem. Thank you so much. I knew what Tom was saying, but you should have seen my kitchen a few hrs ago lol.
If she really likes to help and make a mess, give her some scissors and handfuls of orchard grass hay. Chop that up and mix with the softened Mazuri. I even mix in some grated opuntia cactus. Make a real healthy combination!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Its best if you start the intro process slowly. Start with just one pellet of the regular Mazuri. Soak it in a bottle cap with a little water until it turns to mush. While its soaking and getting mushy, finely chop up the days greens and spray the chopped pile with a little water. Then, mix in the single mushy pellet of Mazuri. It can get messy, so I usually feed the Mazuri to them on a plastic butter tub lid, or something similar to contain the mess. I gig them a few hours to eat it and then remove the plastic feeding tray and rinse it off.

Jay1718

South Carolina, USA
Its best if you start the intro process slowly. Start with just one pellet of the regular Mazuri. Soak it in a bottle cap with a little water until it turns to mush. While its soaking and getting mushy, finely chop up the days greens and spray the chopped pile with a little water. Then, mix in the single mushy pellet of Mazuri. It can get messy, so I usually feed the Mazuri to them on a plastic butter tub lid, or something similar to contain the mess. I gig them a few hours to eat it and then remove the plastic feeding tray and rinse it off.
Thanks again

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I have to agree with the others as well. Just mix it little by little and don't worry. To this day I will throw some mazuri pellets in with the greens I feed. I am always trying to change things up for my girl.

Kadels

5 Year Member
Why not the Mazuri LS?
Same question. I have fed LS for years. LS (5E5L) and 5M21 have the same description (“... is a high fiber diet designed for dry land herbivorous tortoises such as gopher, sulcata and Galapagos tortoises. This diet may be used with other herbivorous reptiles as well.”), so I’m not sure the difference.

Side note: 15% off exotic diets today at Mazuri apparently only applies to bird diets. :-(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why not the Mazuri LS?
Same question. I have fed LS for years. LS (5E5L) and 5M21 have the same description (“... is a high fiber diet designed for dry land herbivorous tortoises such as gopher, sulcata and Galapagos tortoises. This diet may be used with other herbivorous reptiles as well.”), so I’m not sure the difference.

Side note: 15% off exotic diets today at Mazuri apparently only applies to bird diets. :-(

Most tortoises don't seem to like it. The only way I could get any of mine to eat t was to mix it with regular Mazuri, and my tortoises eat anything! If your tortoises will eat it, then there is no harm in using it.