Sulcata book contradictions

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
So this past week I ordered some seed mix from sulcatafood.com and got this deal where you got a pound of seed mix and a book on Sulcata's in captivity. this is an amazon link for some info on the book here So I haven't read the entire thing yet, but I skimmed over the selecting a sulcata and the enclosures sections. What I read shocked me. I don't understand how something like this could be published by anyone knowing about these tortoises. It was published in 2005 so maybe they didn't know what they do now about them, but still if you search for a sulcata book on google this is the number 1 result. So how many people are getting stuff like this and believing it when the info is opposite of what you should do.

So these are the problems I have with the book.

1. To select a tortoise the number one recommendation by the book is to go to a pet store because they are much better and very knowledgeable about the care these tortoises need. It basically says be wary of online sales because you never know what you will get. Not knowing is understandable, but the way I see it the two best places to get one are to online websites for breeders(ATC and Tortoise Supply). The only part of this section I really agree with is that it says expo's are a good place because you can see the care that breeders take and you can individually select your tortoise which is how I got my Sulcata hatchling.

2. For substrate it says that a great idea is alfalfa pellets because sometimes tortoise's will eat their substrate so it is safe for them because they can digest it. I'm by far not an expert yet, but I would like to be someday :D but from what I know and have read this is one of the worst substrates to use. It is not good for them to eat, and it molds easily especially with moisture so it would be very hard to keep the much needed humid environment which takes me to my final problem with the book.

3. One of the first lines I read pretty much says that they are from a very hot and dry climate therefore they need to be raised that way. This is by far one of the biggest misunderstanding's out there for this tortoise. I've seen plenty of comparisons of tortoise kept in a dry environment vs a humid one and the results are almost always clear on which environment is better. They almost all show that health, growth, and pyramiding is always better in a humid environment compared to a dry one.

I just hope some people out there are doing more research than just buying one book and trusting it. Before I got my tortoise I had another book about keeping tortoise's in captivity and I trusted it until I found this forum. I'm so glad I ended up here where there is constant up to date info and help. Does anyone know about any literature that is correct and up to date to get a hold of or are most of these publications like this? Hopefully some people who use books like this can read this post and learn that there is more out there (Like this forum) than just a book to learn how to care for their tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, unfortunately, the was the way of the olden days. Many of the very good keepers on here only had that kind of info to go on. Luckily for the rest of us, they have done there homework and experiments and shared them with us, so we don't have to make the same mistakes. What bothers me even more then the books, are the websites that still give out the old, bad info:(. Unfortunately, that's what I found, before finding tortoiseforum.org.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
What bothers me more than the books is the researchers and authors of these books that keep preaching these old methods as though they are sacred and indisputable truths They are the ones that should know better. I am glad I did not get a book and found this forum instead.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here is one of my all time favorite tortoise books on care, and I mean that as sarcasm. If the cover art is an indication of what they're shooting for, I think the word “caring" should be removed.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393806466.976424.jpg
And I own the book you reference, and it's used as a learning tool for identifying incorrect info. and replacing it with proper husbandry info.

Last edited by a moderator:

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Re: RE: Sulcata book contradictions

Cowboy_Ken said:
Here is one of my all time favorite tortoise books on care, and I mean that as sarcasm. If the cover art is an indication of what they're shooting for, I think the word “caring" should be removed.

And I own the book you reference, and it's used as a learning tool for identifying incorrect info. and replacing it with proper husbandry info.

Yeah the way I see the book I referenced is pretty much read it and do the opposite of what it says haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know the author of that book and he is a truly GREAT guy. I met Russ at the first TTPG conference in November of 2010. Unfortunately we all thought that same stuff years ago. I raised many sulcatas and leopards following the info in that book and others like it that said basically the same thing, and suffered terrible frustration for nearly two decades. It really wasn't until 2007 or so that some people began to figure it out. I started my first "wet routine" experiments in 2008, and I didn't go public with it until May of 2010. Credit should be given to Richard Fife, his wife, and brother Jerry, for being the first to publish and introduce the concept of humidity for leopard tortoises in a book available to the public.

We are still combating that old incorrect info, and progress is being made. I think it is fantastic that people like you now see the difference.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Re: RE: Sulcata book contradictions

Tom said:
I know the author of that book and he is a truly GREAT guy. I met Russ at the first TTPG conference in November of 2010. Unfortunately we all thought that same stuff years ago. I raised many sulcatas and leopards following the info in that book and others like it that said basically the same thing, and suffered terrible frustration for nearly two decades. It really wasn't until 2007 or so that some people began to figure it out. I started my first "wet routine" experiments in 2008, and I didn't go public with it until May of 2010. Credit should be given to Richard Fife, his wife, and brother Jerry, for being the first to publish and introduce the concept of humidity for leopard tortoises in a book available to the public.

We are still combating that old incorrect info, and progress is being made. I think it is fantastic that people like you now see the difference.

I do believe he would be a great guy. At least he did try to get information out and at the time it was "the way" to do it. I just hope that now that better info is out there that people can locate it instead of referencing things like those books and hopefully he and other authors can publish new literature to replace and update the older things with that they've learned, but it's hard to beat a place like this where new and updated info is always available. The only problem is there are so many people who just rely on the pet store info and books with outdated info that don't do research or find a place like TFO.
It is great though that people like you are always looking to better the lives of tortoise's and their keepers and do find out new info and pass it on.

Masqurade

Mt Airy, Maryland
I got information from someone who runs a pet store who supposedly raised two sullies and from countless websites. This was the first site I found that had good supported information. Everywhere else it was to keep them in dry aired habitats. I am so thankful for this site!

prelyt

5 Year Member
Southern California
The best part about using the forums for information is the support. You really can get personalized information to suit your needs, and the knowledge is endless here. Books get outdated as the information changes. Here on the forum, people are always asking new questions, discovering the new info and bettering the care of tortoises world wide.